Chapter 36: Passer-by

That night, Rae is watching Edward pace a little. Jasper and Emmett have went to Bella's to try tracking the scent of the vampire Edward smelled in Bella's room. Alice is stressed. Marianna is sitting beside a pregnant Rosalie. Rayna is leaning against the doorway while Esme sits beside Bella.

"Who was it?" Carlisle asks. "Someone we know?"

"Just a stranger," Edward claims. "I didn't recognize his scent."

"A nomad passing through?" Esme asks.

"A passer-by wo isn't have left Bella's father alive," Rosalie claims from the couch, rubbing her baby bump.

Bella grows chilled by the thoguht. Esme wraps amp arm around her soothingly and that's when Jasper returns with Emmett.

"His scent disappeared about five miles south of Bella's house," Jasper states as Emmett sits beside Rosalie.

"Someone's orchestrating this," Edward says.

"Victoria?" Raelynn suggests.

"I would have seen her deciding," Alice claims.

"It has to be the Volturi," Edward says.

"They wouldn't do that," Rae grumbles.

"Besides, I've been watching Aro's decisions," Alice adds as she takes a seat beside Raelynn.

"So we keep looking," Emmett suggests.

"We also take shifts... guarding Bella's house," Carlisle replies.

"Another protection detail?" A pregnant Rosalie scoffs.

"Rosalie..." Esme scolds.

"No, she's right," Bella interrupts. "You can't protect me, watch my dark and search for the intruder. And for Victoria. And keep yourselves fed."

"I'm not leaving you here defenseless," Edward says.

"I'm not going to let you starve," Bella says.

"And she won't be unprotected," Raelynn says. "She has the pack. You forget, my brother's a wolf... let me call him."

"Call Jake..."

"No, you're not leading him on anymore," Rae growls. "I'll call Caleb."
🔘🔘🔘🔘🔘🔘

Rae stands in Bella's fromt yard with Bella and Edward. Bella is extra pouty because Raelynn flat out declined the offer to call Jake. Caleb is just as capable of sniffing out a vampire. And Raelynn had meant it; she's like Leah, she's tired of Bella leading Jacob on, torturing him.

Caleb comes outside after a moment. "Oh yeah, there was a strong odor. Whoever it was left his scent behind. It'll be hard to kiss when we cross it again. We can help you handle this."

"We don't need the pack's help," Edward claims.

"I know that," Caleb replies and he glances at Rae. "But with my sister here, Bella isn't the only one in danger, Edward. Raelynn is, too. She's just as human as Bella is. Only... different."

Edward sighs and he nods. "Very well. If we need you or the pack again, I'll have Raelynn give you a call."

Though he doesn't believe him, Caleb nods. "I'll look forward to it," he says before he leaves.
⚪️⚪️⚪️⚪️⚪️⚪️⚪️⚪️⚪️

Bella looks out her window and she sees Caleb's wolf standing there with Paul's. Caleb's wolf looks up at her. He backs into the trees and he continues keeping watch with Paul.
🔘🔘🔘🔘🔘🔘🔘🔘

Raelynn sits in the Cullen house with Rosalie while the others hunt and try helping guard Bella's house. Rae can tell this is only the beginning... with the possible trouble for Bella... Again.

Raelynn has taken notice that Bella is a danger magnet. She knows she doesn't mean to, but danger seems to follow Bella around. She seems to attract it. Rae is almost tempted to go and ask Aro to join the Volturi and become a member of their coven. Not much danger follows them because danger is scared of the Volturi.

"What are you thinking about?" Rosalie asks curiously.

"Is it just us humans here?" Rae asks.

Rosalie looks at her in concern. "Yes. It's just us. What's going on?"

Raelynn looks down. "About how much danger we have faced since Edward let Bella in."

"A lot," Rosalie hums as Rayna brings a mug of tea in.

"I'm tempted to go to Volterra and ask Aro for a spot in his coven," Rae says. "Danger seems scared of the Volturi."

"Yeah, because they eliminate dangers like the snap of a finger af Edward's speed," Rosalie says. "You'd be safest there."

"Yeah, but I'm gonna stay here for now," Rae says. "For Alice and you."

"You're the best," Rosalie mutters. "Henry is moving around some."

Raelynn puts her hand on Rosalie's stomach and feels her godson moving.

"I've been working on another human elixir for Emmett," Rayna says. "In La Push."

"Thank you," Rosalie whispers.

"You're welcome," Rayna says with a smile. "You rest up, yeah?"

"Yeah," Rosalie replies and she heads upstairs.

Rae smiles at Rayna before she goes to the kitchen to make some crepes. Something french but delicious.
🔘🔘🔘🔘🔘🔘