Chapter 37: Newborns

Rae shoves Caleb playfully as they arrive to Jacob's. Raelynn runs over to Billy as soon as she sees him ad the head of the council and she hugs him. Billy closes his eyes as he hugs the gifted human tightly.

Sue Clearwater smiles sadly at the encounter. She knows that Rae was Mary's daughter, the second wife Billy lost in a car accident. She's just glad that Rae accepted him as a father and the adoption went through.

While Rae was in Italy and after the wedding, Billy adopted Mary's kids. Caleb, Raelynn, and Clara. He saw them as his own kids anyway. So he had no problem with adopting them as Mary asked.

"Hey," Billy finally greets. "You don't come around much."

Rae glances at the wrecked car in the yard, Jacob has been working to restore it.

"Too many memories," she whispers.

Billy follows her eyes. "Jacob is trying to restore it."

"If he does, I want it," Rae says.

"And you got it," Billy says. "Have a seat, darling."

"Hi, Sue, Quil," Rae greets the other elders and she sits beside Caleb and Leah on their bench.

They both wrap their arms around her while Bella and Jacob arrive. Seth kisses Clara once and he runs over to greet Jake and to meet Bella. Rae stays in between Leah and Caleb, where they chose to seat her.

Seth soon rejoins the circle and he sits beside Clara. The two fifteen year old shifters hold hands as Jacob and Bella had a seat around the circle.

"The Quiluetes have been a small tribe from the beginning," Billy begins, "... but we always had magic in our blood. We were great spirit warriors... shape shifters, that transform into the powerful wolf. This enabled us to scare off our enemies, and protect our tribe."

Rae's eyes fill with awe as she watches her new adoptive father speak. The stories alone are pretty amazing. Caleb glances beside him at his sister, he smiles at her focus and he returns his own focus to Billy.

"One day our warriors came across a creature," Billy continues. "It looked like a man, but it was as hard as Stone, and cold as ice. Our warrior's sharp teeth finally tore it apart...but only fire would completely destroy it."

Rae furrows her eyebrows for a moment and then her eyes widen. The creature they're talking about is a vampire, or the cold ones as she had read in the supernatural library at Volterra.

"They lived in fear that the cold man was not alone," Billy continues. "And they were right. She took her vengeance out on the village. Our elder chief, Taha Aki,ness the only spirit warrior left to save the tribe after his son was killed. Taha Aki's third wife could see that he would lose. The third wife was no magical being, no special powers but one... courage. The third wife's sacrifice distracted the cold woman... long enough for Taha Aki to destroy her. She saved the tribe. Over time, our enemies have disappeared. But one remains... the cold ones. Our magic awakens when they near. And we sense it now, we feel the threat in our blood. Something terrible is coming. And we all must be ready. All of us."
🟡🟡🟡🟡🟡🟡🟡🟡🟡

Rae goes home after the bonfire and she sits beside Carlisle on the couch. Jasper is sitting in a chair while Emmett sits on the back of another couch. All of them are in the first story living room that's off the foyer.

"Seattle is in a state of terror," a woman reporter claims, causing Rae to look at the tv. "Police are baffled by the escalating murders and disappearances."

Rae notices the concern on Jasper and Carlisle's faces. Emmett looks ready to find something. Rae smirks at Emmett before she turns to the doorway as Edward and Bella arrive.

"Theories range from a vicious new gang to a wildly active serial killer," the reporter continues. "Reporting live, Dawn Chubai. CNN."

"It's getting worse," Carlisle points out. "We're going to have to do something."

"It takes more than one of our kind to cause the damage they're reporting," Jasper says. "Quite a few more. They're undisciplined, conspicuous..."

"Newborns," Edward breathes.

"What, like new vampires?" Bella asks.

"In their first few months after the change," Edward tells her b

"That's when we're at our most uncontrollable, insane with thirst," Jasper explains.

Emmett smirks over at Bella. "Something to look forward to."

"No one has trained these newborns," Jasper says, "but this isn't random."

"Someone's creating an army," Carlisle says and Jasper nods.

Emmett gets up and he gets down from the couch, standing in the floor now. "Oh, now we definitely go to Seattle."

"An army of vampires?" Bella asks, fear sleeping into her veins.

"And they've been created to fight someone," Jasper says.

"We're the only clan even close to Seattle," Edward adds.

"Regardless of who they were, if we don't put a stop to it, thr Volturi will," Carlisle says. "I'm surprised they've let it go on his long."

"Oh, Aro probably sent four guards," Rae says, causing them all to look at her. "Jane, Alec, Felix, Demitri. And Jane knows that my darling Alice is watching Aro's decisions do she won't report to him. Who knows if she will even want to do anything. I grew to know Jane. I know just about how her mind works. She's usually the one in charge when she's on runs with other guards." She stops. "Plus, the Volturi want me and Alice."

"An army could solve that for Aro," Edward says.

"Aro wouldn't... not for me, he knows better," Rae says. "And he knows Alice would follow me."

"We can't wait two weeks for graduation," Bella says to Edward. "You need to change me now..."

"You'd be a liability as a newborn," Jasper says. "Unable to control your instincts. An easy target."

Carlisle stands and he places a hand on Bella's shoulder. "There's also your father to consider. And your mother. How terrible would it be for them if you suddenly disappeared?"
🟣🟣🟣🟣🟣🟣🟣🟣

Rae goes up to her room where Alice is.

"I would follow you anywhere," Alice says. "If you joined the Volturi, I would too."

Rae nods and she curls up beside Alice. Alice kisses the top of Rae's head. She did see a decision for Rae. She was in the castle of Volterra with a Volturi crest around her neck. Alice saw herself there, too, with the same crest. She already knows where they'll be in the future. Alice has been keeping those thoughts to herself since she had that vision. Edward has no idea, and neither does Rae.

Only Alice and Rayna do.