Chapter 38: Grad party

Raelynn is dancing with a few of the graduates while Bella is entering. Tyler twirls Rae aeound as Jessica and Angela go to greet Bella. Edward is with Emmett, Carlisle, and Jasper; all having an important conversation upstairs in the kitchen.

Rae sees Jacob grab Alice by the arm. She flowers and she walks over.

"I suggest you move your arm before I do," Rae growls. "Or before I call Caleb."

Jacob slowly removes his hand and Rae grabs Alice's hand to read Alice's mind from a vision she has.

"The decision's Bern kade," Alice says.

"What's going on?" Bella asks. "You're not going to Seattle?"

"No," Rae replies as she reads Alice's mind. "They're dining here."
🟡🟡🟡🟡🟡🟡🟡🟡

Bella, Rae, Alice, Marianna, Edward, Jasper, and Carlisle are all donating in a den on the other side of the foyer. Embry and Quil stand near the door to keep the other humans out while Jacob looks at Carlisle. Rayna has taken Rosalie to the reservation for a little while and Emmett went hunting.

"How long?" Edward asks.

"They'll be here in four days," Alice replies.

"This could turn into a blood bath," Carlisle points out.

"Who's behind it?" Edward asks.

"I didn't see anyone I recognized," Alice claims. "Maybe one..."

"I know his face," Edward says as he reads Alice's mind. "He's local. Riley Biers."

Bella recognizes the name from her father's case and Edward notices her shaken face.

"He didn't start this," Edward adds.

"Whoever did is staying out of the action," Alice claims as she stands beside Raelynn.

"They just be playing with the blind spots in your vision," Carlisle says.

"Either way..." Jasper cuts in. "The army is coming and there aren't enough of us to protect the town, and we're one short."

"Hold up... what damn army?" Jacob asks.

"Newborns," Carlisle says, ignoring Edward's silent protest. "Our kind."

"What are they after?" Embry asks.

"In Alice's vision, they were passing around Bella's scent," Raelynn claims. "A red blouse."n

"They're after Bella?" Embry asks, an eyebrow raised.

"What the hell does this mean?" Jacob asks, about to explode.

"It means an ugly fight," Carlisle claims. "With lives lot."

Jacob shares a somber look with Quil and Embry. The five an imperceptible nod.

"Alright... we're in," Jacob says and Rae looks at her feet.

"No," Bella says quickly. "You'll get yourselves killed, no way."

"I wasn't asking for permission," Jacob says.

"Edward..." Bella says pleadingly you her boyfriend.

"It means more protection for you," Jacob says.

"Jacob," Carlisle says as he regains the wolf's attention. "Do you believe Sam would agree to... an understanding?"

"As long as we get to kill some vampires," Jacob replies.

"Jasper?" Carlisle glances at his son.

"They'll give us the numbers," Jasper says. "And the newborns won't even know they exist. That'll give us an edge."

"We'll need to coordinate," Carlisle says.

"Carlisle, they'll get hurt!" Bella pleads.

"We'll all need some training," Carlisle says. "Fighting newborns requires some knowledge that Jasper has. You're welcome to join us."

Jacob takes a step closer. "Name the time and place."

"Jake, have Caleb call me," Rae says and she walks out of the den.
🔴🔴🔴🔴🟢🔴🔴🔴🔴🔴

Rae sits in her room alone, Skyping with Caleb.

"Sam agreed," Caleb says. "Clara will be in the fight but don't worry, I'll keep a close eye on her."

"I don't doubt it," Rae says. "I just want you guys to be careful."

"We will be, sis," Caleb says as Leah enters the room. "Are you okay?"

"All this trouble is because of Bella," Rae whispers. "I'm thinking of returning to Volterra."

"Just think it through completely," Caleb says as Alice lays in bed with Rae. "Just think it through completely before deciding."

"I know, I am," Rae replies. "I love you, brother."

"I love you, too, sis," Caleb says had they both hang up.

Alice and Raelynn snuggle close that night.