Chapter 11

Every year passes like a century and after it has passed, it looks like a glimpse. And my every year passed like hell. I studied well and it's my second year, I'll be graduating tomorrow. My Bachelors program will be completed finally. And I'm working part time also to save money for my tour dreams. I want to go on tours to South Korea and Maldives. As I'm a Philippine, it's a little difficult for me to travel abroad because I'm not so rich. Although, I have saved up to 0.5 million peso. But that's not enough yet, you know. But one day, it will be enough, I hope. I will work harder from now on. I have a lot of things on my to-do list. I have so many dreams that are yet to come true. And I am: a believer.
There is a family get-together tomorrow. I don't know why they want me to look into it. They have given me the responsibility to take care of the management services and all that. My dad and I haven't talked since that day. Neither did he try, nor do I. It's become usual now. It's just normal. Anyway, I have to go to Hotel Del Mysterio Terrace for preparations but I still have time left. I should grab a meal first.
I went to McDonald's. People find it awkward to eat alone at places like that. It's good to have a partner at meal, but it's better to enjoy your own self. And I definitely don't feel awkward about it. I ordered a Happy Meal and paid for it. A Daffy Duck toy keychain came along with the Happy Meal. I finished my food. I put the keychain on my bike keys and left the place. I rode all the way to the hotel. When I reached the rooftop or terrace you may say. I found her there.
"Sybil? What are you doing here?"
"I was just passing by, so I wondered how your preparations are going." she continued, "But I see, you are not even interested in it. So I will take care of it."
"Oh. Fine. Here's the card of the hotel manager, and this is the list of things you will need. Good luck!"
I handed her the things and turned back to go.
"So you don't want to prove yourself a good daughter?" she interrupted.
"Hah! Why would I?!" I chuckled.
"Yeah, it's better. You should not. Because you are not even eligible to become a good child."
I clenched my fingers so hard that my sharply defined nails engraved in my palm and it started bleeding. I can't explain how high my blood pressure got. I gave her a horrible stare.
"All you can do is brag about being nice and get mad. Everyone knows that you're not even a normal person."
As she spoke these last words, I threw a punch in her face. And back to back, punch after punch.
After a good deal of beating up, she held my hand.
"So this is how you take out your jealousy and anger on me? All that happens to you, is what you deserve! This does not make you dad's favourite. You should stop getting on my bad side to become dad's favourite. Stop being jealous of my beauty and my good fate."
"Stop getting on my nerves!" and I punched her again till the hotel staff came to stop us. Her nose was bleeding and her cheek was red and blue and swelled. I had given her a hard time saving herself. She found a rod to hit me from the back.
"You think you can run away after beating me like that?" and she came running towards me to hit me with the rod. I dodged it. As I got away, she fell off the terrace. With a scream, I tried to get a hold of her. But all I had in my hands was a green scarf that she had around her neck. My heart was as if it would burst out of my chest. I was breathing like my lungs will lose their elasticity.
Without a second thought, I called the police. All the hotel staff backed off after seeing such a sensitive incident. They were all standing with their hand over their mouth or face. And suddenly there was a rush and screams and even I felt like a woman started crying and one fainted. But I was standing still and numb. I couldn't hear a sound.
Then a lightning bolt struck me and I came into my senses. The first thing I did was: run away. I sneaked away from the terrace without getting noticed. Even though I had not killed her, but everyone saw what had happened and I could not imagine going to jail at such a young age. I was getting panic attack in the lift. But I had to save myself and managed to get out. My hands were all bloody and I could not think about staying a moment at the hotel. There was a fuss in all the hotel. As I came out of the hotel, there was already a crowd outside. I took my bike and raced away as fast as I could. Police had not come yet. I stopped by a dispensary and got my hand bandaged. I grabbed a water bottle and went straight to bank. I got all my savings out of the bank. I already knew that if I have to run, I need money at once because I will not be able to do any money transactions after this and I would starve to death. I also bought enough fuel for my bike. I have been a genius but I never knew that I will have to use my brains in such a crime scene. I never had imagined it. I did all my work as fast as I could. I only consumed the time police would take in inspecting the crime scene and asking for testimony of people who witnessed the scene.
It started raining too. My tears dropped with the rain drops as I was riding my bike getting wet. I felt like the rain water is taking my all strength away. I cried all the way. I didn't know where I'm going. But I kept going along the straight road.