Chapter 21

I was so scared that I was panicking and couldn't find a solution for my life.
“What if the other workers report me?” I asked almost crying.
“Leave that to me. I'll handle it. They've been with me for a long time.” Sheridan assured me, “But stay hidden. Wear a mask and spectacles when you sit at the reception. Don't go out. It's just a social media trend and it will get covered up with new trends in a month or two.”
I cried for a few more minutes. Sheridan didn't say anything then. He conducted a meeting with the staff, early in the next morning, which I didn't join, so I don't know what he told them and how they reacted. They didn't report me, but Sheridan told me one thing that in case I got caught, he would not take responsibility and act as if he didn't know me well and just hired me without knowing my criminal record, and he made me sign a legal paper saying that if something happens, I am not to take his name. I could understand him too, they were enough kind and considerate, I can say.
After a week, Nephi came to see me. He knew it was useless meeting me at that time when I was being emotional. So he came after some days. He definitely wanted to be inquisitive.
“You should've told me this all before. I could've helped you.” said Nef after I told him everything truthfully and honestly.
“Why did you run away from the location of crime when you didn't commit the crime, when you knew that were a suspect, you were just a suspect but not the criminal?” he asked.
“I was so scared, I couldn't think of anything else.” I protested.
“I can understand. But you made a very wrong choice back then.” he said in a very serious tone that I had never heard from him before.
After some more questioning, he stood up to go back.
“For my suggestion, you should turn yourself in. You will get a reduced sentence and an early parole if you turn yourself in.” he advised.
“I will think about it.” I said being ashamed and sad.
“Stay hidden until you make a decision. I'm here for any help. Take care.” he said and walked out of the guest house, handing me a muffin.
I was so much confused. Anyway, I successfully kept my hiding for two months and no one reported me. People forgot about a trend that was really unimportant to them and moved on. No one remembered me. Even if they did, they couldn't recognise me so easily in a disguise. The picture that my dad uploaded was already two years old. So I was relieved then. Life showed me unexpected turns after every three or four peaceful months. But I had to continue living. I was a moody person, but I was never the one to give up on something that I've decided to do at all costs. I had decided to live as long as I could, so I stood by my decision well. All you need to do is make a decision, for there will be curses for confused souls. Confused people are always at a loss. Confidence is what gives you an identity in society.
After about two months, I also started forgetting about event of me getting viral. Everything was getting back to normal. But I knew that my dad hadn't moved on. He is a stubborn man. Anyway.
“Do you wanna go for a long drive?” Sheridan asked in a very bright mood.
“To where?” I asked.
“I have some work and a business meeting kind of thing in Pasig. Do you want to join?”
“Will it be safe?” I asked.
“As long as you keep yourself safe!” he said.
I was so tired of my life staying full time at home. My shift begins at 12 pm so he asked me to wake up early the next morning. At 6:30 am, I woke up, got ready and did my breakfast. At exact 7 am he came out of his office in his full formal wear. He was looking like a gentleman.
“I didn't know you're so punctual.” I said.
“And so you are.” he gave a big smile.
“You're looking like a gentleman.” I said just as we put on our seatbelts.
“What do you mean? Am I not a gentleman?” he protested.
“Are you?” I teased.
“Hey! I apologised for trying to kiss you that day, does that not make me a gentleman?” he said and I laughed.
The sun was just almost up and it was a warmer day. Mid April afternoons are warmer. The sky was cloudy and it was still all windy. Sea was high those days. And because of the morning, I could see birds chirping and flying overhead. I had gotten out in the morning after a long time. The bright warm sun rays made my eyes smaller. But the air was still fresh and cool and quite fast because of the sea. The highway was really lovely. I put my head out of the car window sometimes, and sometimes we both sang over the song that was on the radio, and it was fun. But with time, when we were almost near Pasig, the sun was high and it became warmer and our foreheads were sweating. He asked me to stay in the car in Pasig, and he went inside a departmental store to buy something. I was feeling too warm now, I took off my scarf for a moment to get my sweat wiped. There was a man in his mid thirties, although he was acting like a normal citizen, but I felt like he's a thug because of his clothes and appearance. He scared me at once. He had been staring me for a long time and I knew that I gave him an inkling. Or may be, he became quite sure of me.