Chapter 24

I had to make a decision quick. We couldn't sit there all day long to get caught. Her aunt and uncle must had begun their search for her because they adopted her as their worker for free, otherwise they wouldn't have adopted her or looked for her. I didn't want her to go in a wrong direction. She was all lost like once I was. And I was still lost, I just found a confederate. I was a vagabond, how could I take responsibility for her? And more than that, I was a wanted miscreant.
I decided something finally, before the second bus arrived. There were still 15 minutes left for the bus to come. But before we could get into the bus, something else happened. A shining maroon car stopped in front of us. The door opened and a guy came out. I already knew who it was.
“Why is your phone switched off? I had been circling here and there for the past twenty minutes. And your last checked location was a warehouse. Are you ok?” it seemed like Sheridan said all this holding his breath.
“I didn't want to trouble you. I'm sorry.” I said.
“What do you mean? Where will you go?” he asked.
“I don't know. I will find somewhere.” I said.
He remained silent for a while and looked around.
“Fine. Keep my number and contact me if you need.” He said and turned back.
“Wait!” I stopped him.
“What?” he asked.
“Did the police investigate you?”
“Yes. Because you were in my car. I told them I gave you a lift and told them a wrong location. So don't worry. And they may keep an eye on my guest house too, so I'm not going to take you there.” he said.
“Then why did you come here?” I asked.
“To check if you're alive or not. Anyway. Take care.” and he sat in his car at first but came back suddenly, “Oh, and take this money. This month's pay.” and then he raced off.
“I should have stopped him...” I said to myself but what's the use of regrets. I had to do as I had planned before.
“What's your name lil' girl?” I asked her.
“Anier. And yours?” she asked.
“Aceso.” I said.
“That's a rare name. I've never heard this in my school or neighborhood.” she smiled.
Soon the bus came and we both stepped into it. We talked about many things and shared some experiences. I had decided to go and visit Ashley in Pasig. She always helped me out of all the problems. The travel we did from Quezon to Pasig was too good. We both talked about many things. I knew one thing for sure, that Anier's uncle and aunt wouldn't go to police or it could trouble themselves and they would never go to Pasig to look for her. Pasig was safe for her and on the contrary, it was the most dangerous place for me. But I still risked it because I had no choice. Sometimes, life forces you to do what you never wanted to do. Trials are really unpredictable and sometimes intolerable. I had really got tired of my life, but I had to go on, because I deserved to live. I deserved a lot more than being beaten up and abused. When Anier could still live, I did not have a worse situation than her.
The bus stopped and we saw Pasig streetlights in front of us. I decided to walk to Ashley's place. I could get more noticed in vehicles. We both walked talking to each other slowly, laughing and giggling. It was a cool evening. It wasn't dark yet. Finally, I knocked at Ashley's door. Luckily, instead of her family members, Ashley herself opened the door. I shut her mouth at once.
“Don't tell anyone. I'll leave in five minutes.”
She was shocked but silently led me and Anier to her room.
“Who is it, Ash?” her elder sister shouted from another room.
“Oh, it's my friend from University. Petunia.” she replied in the same shouting way and closed the door of her room. She straight came to me and gave me a good slap.
“Will you listen to me?” I said in a very low tone.
“Is there anything else to hear? You were missing, and then suddenly you were viral all over social media. The police was searching for you. They even came to my home to look for you! Do you know if my mom or anyone here gets to know that you are sitting here with me, what will happen?” She said in a single breath and slapped me again. It was always my habit, I treated her like an elder sister, so I didn't say word.
“I'm not here to hide. I need some other help...” I said.
“No, I can't help you. It's better you leave as soon as you can.” she interrupted before I even completed.
“This girl is an orphan. And her uncle harasses her. I just need you to take her to your aunt's orphanage.” I said still in a calm tone.
“Oh.” then she looked at Anier.
“I forgot to ask about you. Will you have some muffins?” Ashley asked Anier patting her head. Anier smiled so she turned behind, opened a cupboard and took out some packed muffins and offered Anier to sit on the armchair and have them.
“And yes, ask your aunt to not allow her for adoption. I will adopt her later.” I requested.
“Alright. I can do that much.” she said being calm with me for the first time, she continued, “Quickly tell me your story and leave. I can't hide you for long.” she said being hard again. I told her all the story keeping the long details short and cutting off the unimportant part. She seemed sad now, instead of being angry anymore. I hugged her and cried. I cried so much. Then I stood up wiping away my tears, and pulled Anier's cheek.
“Hey! I'm not a little kid!” she complained.
“I'm going for now. Ashley will treat you well, and her aunt too, so listen to her commands and take care.” I said with a smile.
“Thank you so much. I will someday pay you for this.” she said and smiled back.
Just as I stepped out of Ashley's villa, she stopped me from the back, holding my shoulder.
“If you don't surrender and turn yourself in, I will report you. I'm giving you two months to make a decision. And you know it.” she said trying to make me understand.
“I know. I will do it.” I said and left.