Chapter 25

It was dark now but Pasig was all bright. The roads seemed less busy but it didn't give that strange feeling of lonliness one might have at that deserted bus stop of Quezon or on the bench at the bay of a beach at Cocomo Island after sunset. But sitting at the silent bus stop the third time, being still the same reminded me of my wounds again. Although, a lot of time spent, but nothing got better. It worsened each time, and how could it possibly change when I put no effort in improvement? I kept running. And now I'm again clueless. I wondered what would become of me in the future. I secured Anier and I felt great satisfaction towards it. You know, how it feels like doing something good in the childhood? I had the same nice feeling, of doing some virtue after a lot of sins and regrets.
At the moment, suddenly, I was reminded of the last thing Ashley said. I wasn't surprised. And not for a quarter of a second, I felt that she was betraying me. I expected that from her. And may be the only best option I had was to turn myself in.
“It's a small country and I have little money, I can't run forever.” I thought.
“You still don't wanna come?” a voice woke me up from my deep thoughts. It was Sheridan in his car in front of me. I was so lost in thinking that I didn't even see him come and stop.
“Oh! It's that like I do...” I said breaking each word in syllables.
“Stop thinking and get in. I still need a receptionist.” he said. I sat in his car with a joyful heart.
“What were you doing in Pasig?” I asked after ten minutes, breaking the awkward silence.
“That day when I came for some business, but got stuck with police... couldn't do my work then. So I went there today.” he said quite being normal.
“Oh. How's Len and everyone?” I asked.
“H-m-m.. They're all fine.” he said.
“Are you in a bad temper?” I asked.
“No.” he said.
“Then what's with this long face?” I asked.
“What? I'm just tired.” he said.
Seeing him was a relief. Sometimes, you don't even need to shout for help, and help arrives. It is what your heart desires and it is true, indeed, it is a human's heart where God dwells. In every sense, it makes sense. There is a deity, who plans and implements. We all have stories to tell, but most remain untold and fade away with time. Those stories are just the plans of a deity. I wish the deity had planned something better for me.
I had dozed off in the car. I had a very peaceful power nap. It was one of the most beautiful naps of my life, I believe. When we reached there, Sheridan woke me up. I had a home feeling. It really felt great and quickly ran inside. I met all other people. Len, Maricur and everyone. After a brief talk, I was going upstairs then I felt that I was not sleepy at all. I came down and asked Avlis for old magazines. She gave me a pack. I took the pile and sat in the lounge.
“Wanna have a cup?” a voice came from behind.
“Oh, only if you give me company here!” I said turning towards the kitchen shelf. Len was having coffee. She took out two cups and came out. She sat in front of me. She began talking with some random topics.
“What did Mr. Clarke tell you people about me?” I finally asked out of my curiosity.
“The truth.” she said.
“What truth?” I asked being confused.
“About why police is after you.” she said.
The warm coffee cup I had to my lips suddenly freezed for a moment.
“Why didn't you guys report me?” I asked (being more curious and serious)
“There are different reasons for everyone. The sweeper lady doesn't use social media so she doesn't know anything like that about you. And as for me, I've been working here for a long time. I worked for Mr. Clarke's parents. They were kind to me. I was an orphan when I started working here and they were like parents for me. So I don't want to do anything that might trouble Mr. Clarke. Avlis is my cousin, so I made her understand. And she's not like everyone, anything that doesn't concern her, doesn't bother her. She minds her own job. For Maricur, she's a newbie, but she had been a childhood friend to him and is a very considerate person. I guess. There may be other reasons for others, but the only I guess are these.” taking a break, she continued, “All these people saw Mr. Clarke breaking down and they care about him. He was still young, just a boy, when his parents passed away. Losing parents is worse than losing a child.”
“I see.” I said and kept my eyes down.
“Well, I've heard you were his classmate in Pasig.” she said in a better tone now.
“Oh, yes. I was.” I said now raising my head and nodding slightly.
I liked Len. She was a nice and sensible woman, too mature for her age. She was kind to me.
“Well, you should go to sleep now. You will be on your shift by tomorrow!” she smiled and stood up with the empty coffee cups, she continued, “I will get going home now.”
“Take care!” I smiled back.
No one's life is easy. It's just us, who think that no one in the world would have been suffering like us. How we make fools of ourselves. Hah!
I had realised it very late.