Chapter 27

"Oh, what is this?" I said to myself when I found a card when I was cleaning my drawers. I remembered, it was the contact card of a psychologist that I found in the bus, the first day of my run.
I called the psychologist from my reception desk and marked an appointment. I saw the psychologist and it helped me a little. I couldn't tell her each and every detail and luckily, she didn't recognize me. Who would remember now anyway? Except that big fat man.
She was an old and experience lady, but not yet retired. She seemed very nice and considerate (or that's how psychologists are with patients) and she offered me some good chocolates and said that they could help release frustrations. Chocolates are helpful in depression?
I forgot the card in her clinic. Ah! That's how the balance of this world continues, I found the card lost, and I left it on her table, may be the person whom it belonged to will later collect it again. Who knows.
She said some things that were worth remembering. Her age and life experiences improved her as a professional too. I admired her. And I hope to see her again.
"Mr. Clarke?" I said as I slightly opened the door of his office after I returned from the clinic.
"Come in." he said.
"Are you busy?" I asked.
"Do I look busy? I wouldn't have asked you to come in, you dumb woman." he teased.
"I was thinking about something... " I said in a whispering way.
"Now what?" he said without shifting his eyes from his computer screen while typing something on his computer.
"I will turn myself in." I said confidently. Suddenly the tap-tap sound of continuous keyboard keys stopped. And Sheridan looked straight into my face.
"Well, that's a good decision." he said shaking himself from the shock after a while.
"H-m-m.."
"But I wasn't expecting this, so I'm a little shocked." he said now going back to his work on his computer screen.
"I just wanted to thank you for everything you've done. I'm truly grateful. Back at school, when I used to harm myself by making cuts on my arms and burning my skin with matchsticks, you were the one who made me stop. Thank you. For everything." I said in a quite emotional way, but all I said was actually from my heart. It was the most honest talk I ever did. He stopped his work and listened to this and smiled.
"Will you meet me at the beach today? At the sunset? I asked.
"So you are thinking about leaving the reception desk empty?" he said.
"No, Len will take care of it. I talked to her about this." I explained.
"I will have to pay Len more." he whined.
"Come on!" I said
"Okay, now let me do my work." he said.
In the evening, I went to my room to get ready. I got ready in the only new dress left that I had never worn before. A red top. I got ready in about five minutes. And you already know it's just a walking distance from this side of the road to that side. I went there and sat calmly. I had made a very big decision and it made me feel bad too, and anxious. In a few minutes, Sheridan came and sat beside me. We watched the sunset together. But there was no flirt, no romance. It isn't a movie. Sometimes, you just need a friend to sit beside you, and that's enough to boost your strength.
They all gave me a nice farewell party at night with chips and pasta and champagne. We played games and danced too. It was my last day at the guest house - the Clarke's Guest House. I had made new friends and beautiful memories there. Worst things also happened but it was okay. Life is a rose garden, it seems pretty but it's full of thorns. I understand that well now.