Chapter Thrity-Five

Roman and Micheal
    It was before dinner on Friday and Roman was in his room looking at the book he checked out. He was at his desk and had the flowers in front of him. Micheal had asked why they were doing so well and Roman shrugged. He knew why, they weren't going to die until he figured it out. The second that Virgil told him he got the correct answer, they would start to decay. It seemed weird but Roman wanted to be sure he got the right answer.

    Micheal was on his bed reading something on his computer. "I am just saying that you could be reading too far into it."

    "Micheal you are supposed to be on my side here! Help me!" Roman whined.

    "Listen Kingsley, I am happy to help but I am not going to go through hundreds of books." Micheal shrugged and didn't take his eyes off the screen.

    "Then what do you think he meant?" Roman said. Micheal took a deep breath and looked at Roman.

    "He gave you flowers."

    "Yes."

    "He's like your closest friend here other than myself in this school."

    "In life kinda." Micheal ignored that, they didn't have time to unpack all of that. He was a roommate not a therapist.

    "You have talked about relationships before."

    "Yes."

    "He knows you like romantic gestures."

    "He does."

    "You know what he likes as a gesture of affection such as finding something that reminds you of him or making something."

    "I do."

    "Flowers could be considered a romantic gesture."

    "I guess."

    "Let's try this: Flowers could be a symbol of affection."

    "Sure?"

    "He gave you flowers." Micheal looked at Roman.

    "They were after a performance though. It's tradition, Remus gave me flowers too." Roman reasoned. He still wasn't getting it.

"Roman, they were in the room. In a vase. He didn't give you a bouquet that was store bought." Micheal told him. "Clearly, he's telling you something. And I think you can figure it out now."

    "But I don't know! The flowers have meanings and so do the colors. It's complicated!" Roman said. Micheal rolled his eyes. His roommate was so oblivious.

    "Fine." He typed on his computer and pulled up a website. He rolled off the bed and moved the flowers so he could put the computer on the table. This senseless pinning was getting everyone nowhere. "There. I found a website that explains meanings and colors. Let's start with the roses."

    "Blue?" Roman asked.

    "Mystery of some kind."

    "Is there another one? The book I got said there was a double meaning sometimes." Roman said.

    "Not that I can see. Next?"

    "Purple?"

    Micheal made a sound. "Going to have to ask you to be more specific. Like shade." Are they really that specific, Roman didn't think they were.

    "Lavender? The entire thing is a little pastel, which is weird coming from Virgil. He's not too cutesy." Roman said.

    Micheal laughed. "You'd be surprised. But the website says that it would represent majesty." Roman looked confused.