Chapter Thirty-Seven

Roman
He loved school sometimes and other times he hated it. The times he couldn't be around Virgil was when he hated it the most. Why? He just did, he never really felt any real separation anxiety from his friends before. Really the only person he ever felt that with was Remus. Something told him he was just overreacting but he didn't think so. Or he didn't feel like he was. Roman sat in the corner of the library for his study hall. Virgil was in religion right now so he was bored. They had chosen to take playwriting class together for this semester.

He had quickly become what he had seen Janus doing at the beginning of his stay here. A protective presence that people avoided and were sure to be somewhat civil with Virgil if he was around, but people liked Virgil in general. It was more to deter the newer students who didn't know or needed a hint. However, he never got into a fight, they just looked at him and walked away.

This just means that the two boys were not fighting anymore, and that the two of them could relax just a bit. Janus was glad and it meant he didn't have to worry about Virgil or Roman anymore. Janus and Roman were still holding their truce, and it was February.

    This doesn't mean that they liked each other, they both understood that Virgil was a person they both wanted to be close to and just stayed out of each other's way. They no longer gave each other dirty looks and the tension was gone between them. This just meant everyone could relax in the halls and not look for the nearest place to exit if those two got into a brawl.

    The school was full of students who had large disciplinary records, they knew how too behave during a school fight between two of the most well known people in the school. It was amazing how Roman had become that kind of person in just a few weeks. But when you become friends with the Headmaster's nephew, it's quite easy to gain popularity.

However, February was a time for love, and Roman liked to imagine the things that he could do with Virgil. It was a new hobby of his. He had been for the last few weeks of January into February. But how to get him to agree to it was the question. He opened his palm and a thin red mist started to surround his fingers. He just twirled them around, he realized he hadn't played with magic for a while.

    When he was a little kid, he did it a lot. He would think of these stories with mythical creatures to tell his brother while they played and sometimes he even swore he saw real fairies and other beings in the woods that they played by in the park. Running water was always shimmering with something he couldn't put his hand on. Almost seemed like something was running through the waters and the sound was mixed with some kind of laughter. 

His thoughts were interrupted by his hand being slammed down by another, Roman yelped and looked up he was met with Janus. "Hey!" Roman said.

"First of all, if you are learning freelance, you can't do magic in public. They would get you in courses faster than," Janus raised his hand and snaps. "That."Roman raised his eyebrow.

"You seem to speak from experience." Roman said. Janus nodded.

"I do. It was one of the main reasons that I was a dick to Virgil." Janus sat down.

"Really?" Roman asked.

"Calm down, we talked it out. I know that you know he recognized the patterns on your arm." Janus smiled. "It's cute the way he would nurse you back to health with tactics you would only use on a fellow practitioner." Then he continued. "But I was like you. I didn't want to learn about it but magic is something that you can't just not do. It's an itch that makes you crazy if you don't."

Roman knew what he meant, he remembered trying to repress his magic. It ended up with Roman almost exploding the boy's bathroom during a fight.