New Jobs

KARA'S POV

AT CATCO/CAT'S OFFICE

"Ok, uh, I made my decision. I said, walking up to Cat's desk, determined and certain.

She looked up at me, smile on her face. She took a look at her phone, to see the timer she set for me to choose me new job.

"43 minutes before the deadline. This better be good." She said dully, though I knew she was happy.

I took a deep breath before I revealed my answer.

"I wanna be a reporter." I stated a hopeful smile on my face.

She sat there, stunned, so I continued.

"I can't believe I didn't see it before! Being a reporter is about connecting with people, its about finding hidden truths and sharing it with the world. It's about service. And telling stories that need to be told, in order to make the world a better place, more comprehensible place! And its going to make me the best version of myself, because it will definitely push me out of my comfort zone. This is it for me, this is my calling!" I pitched, pacing back and forth as I explained it. After, I stood there waiting for her response.

She opened her desk drawer, right on top was a brown envelope with CATCO written on the front. She pulled it out and passed it to me.

"Open it."

I was confused, but I did as I was told.

"Is this my resume?" I pulled it out and looked at it. My jaw dropped. On the paper in red was one word scribbled over it.

' REPORTER '

"The minute you came in to interview as my assistant, I has an instinct about you. So I scribbled 'reporter' on your resume, and I stuffed it right here in this drawer, and I hired you on the spot." She said indicating to the drawer.

"You knew even then?"

"Mmm-hmm"

"How!?" I said, dropping onto a chair.

"Instincts. And I guess I saw a little bit of myself in you. Obviously not your strip mall wardrobe," she said getting up. I straightened my pink blazer at subconsciously.

"-and I probably curse more in one day than you've cursed in your entire lifetime, but, you have integrity to right wrongs and to see justice done." She slanted her head for a moment.

"You inspire me Kara. I can see the hero with you."

'That speech made me feel fuzzy inside. I loved that she knew me so well. Cat Grant is an amazing mentor, and an amazing friend. She's always seemed to give the right advice and know when I need it. And it felt good that someone saw Kara as a hero, as a person, not just Supergirl. Even though she had once suspected I was Supergirl. She wasn't wrong, but hopefully we convinced her for good that I'm not.'

"Now get out and make me proud!" She said, bt I could tell she was already proud.

I chuckled, pleased with myself and happy she was proud of me.

"Thank you, Miss Grant." I said, getting up to leave.

Before I did, I turned to say something more.

"You know, you do have a really good instinct about other people. Just letting them know how to live their best lives."

"Please." She scoffed.

"I'm just glad that you decided to take the plunge. It's actually good advice for all of us." She said, thoughtfully.

"You sure you're okay?"I asked, seeing her off focus. Just as she knew when I was off, I could tell she was.

"Uh, I will be."she said, with certainty in her voice. She looked like she'd just decided something, or just figured something out.

Trusting that she be ok, I left.

><><><><

I walked onto the balcony off from the other offices, I stood there next to James.

"You know, what's funny is, on Krypton, by my age, I'd be a spinster."

"I know it seems like I should have everything figured out by now, but I don't. Last year was all about figuring out how to be Supergirl, and now..." I took a deep breath.

"Now it's time I figure out how to be Kara."

"Yeah, you'll figure it out." He spoke up.

"How?"

"It'll just feel right."

A moment of silence passed. I turned to him, so he could let out whatever was on his mind now.

"I bumped into Lucy again."

"You did? How'd that go?"

"Good actually. I know we broke up, and I know why. But I was going to see if I could spend time with her again. I just. I miss her."

"Yeah, that sounds great." I said, happy for him. I wish it were so easy for me.

"Anyway, I was going to head back to the DEO and welcome Winn to the team. Wanna come?"

"No, I have some things I need to do."

"Alright." I looked around me to check none else was looking, and I super sped into my suit and flew off.

><><><><

KARA'S POV STILL

Back at the DEO, Clark, Alex, J'onn and I officially welcomed Winn to the DEO team. His computer skills were as good as, if not better, than several of our team.

Winn shook J'onn's hand, and made a point to ask what he should call him. Hank? J'onn? Director? J'onn told him that he could call him sir, but knowing Winn and how nervous and excited he was, he still got it wrong.

Thw three of them wandered off to talk specifics and what not, leaving my cousin and I alone.

I'd told him, and the others, about my new promotion already, they were so proud and happy for me. For some reason though, I felt like I should have let Lena know, seeing as she was the one who tipped the idea when she asked me about it earlier.

Maybe it's too early to go to her now. I've only met her 3 times now as Kara. 2 of which I was with Clark for the article. So those don't really count. That means I've Kara's only really met her once, and that was cut short by an assassin.

I guess I'll just have to 'bump into her' again sometime. I mean, if I go up to her and ask her to be my friend, she'll think it's only because I'm a reporter now. She wouldn't trust me.

Alex came back to us as we talked and teased. We had been talking about how it was nice to be with one another. How having someone like us around felt nice, like home, like family. And I had agreed to tell him more about his family, our family. It makes it real.

"Hey, wasn't sure if you were interested, but there is an armered car robbery on sixth and stag." Alex said, giving us that look where she already knew we were totally up for it.

The two of us looked back to each other, that excited look in our eyes.

"Up up..?" He started, waiting for me to finish.

"And away!" I said, grinning. And we flew out off the DEO balcony at top speed.