like rats in a cage I

Envy will merit as its shade pursue,

But like a shadow proves the substance true.

Alexander Pope

Narrator: Lily Gracey

Chapter 1

In my dream, I was on a tightrope dangling above a hoard of Alligators. They were snapping at me. They're massive jaws open for the kill. Nearby, a garden party looked on. They were all dressed in masquerade ball attire. I knew they were laughing at me. The rope snapped, and I woke up with Rosemary at my side.

"Are you okay, you look like you had an acid trip?" she said.

"I'm okay," I told her.

"Don't worry, Nurse Rosemary has you covered!" she said, revealing her nurse's uniform.

She also had a cage of rats beside her. I didn't want to know what she planned for those mice. Nothing good was happening to them, so I didn't question her about it.

"I'm fine, Rosemary," I told her.

"She better be because Emilia is outside," Nero huffed.

"WILA!" I heard Caligula say.

"Not for you!" Nero shouted back.

"Do we have a babysitter for him?" I asked.

"We do," Rosemary responded.

It had become clear that Nero was a bad babysitter. So Rosemary had decided to hire someone else. She hadn't told me who, though. To be honest, watching Caligula was a dangerous job.

After the rest of my "family" dispersed except Caligula, Emilia came in followed by Henrietta.

Henrietta came in wearing a black T-shirt and shorts. She was carrying a bag of toys with her.

"The babysitter is here!" she said.

"Henri, you're babysitting him!?" I said.

"Yeah, I can handle it Lily!" she told me.

"Good luck, Henrietta!" Emilia said as we left.

"Are you pumped to meet Lana Winters?!" I said.

I knew Lana was her idol and Emilia wanted to be a journalist like her. Emilia shook her head with spactic glee. Five minutes later we got to the filming site.

"Real film crews!" Emilia said with happiness.

Before we could get any closer, a spear came whizzing bye.

"Hello again, maggots!" a haughty voice said.

It was none other than Romulus.

What was he doing here...