A promise kept

Narrator: Kala

Chapter 5

"What's with the redecorating?" Clarissa's mother asked me.

She noticed all the Jewish stuff I had bought at walmart and thrift stores. I blushed a little.

"I'm trying to reconnect with my heritage," I told her.

"I don't think this is what you need," Vanessa responded.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"Just be yourself," she smiled.

I was still extremely confused but I seemed to get her logic. Looking to the future was better than looking at the past.

"Can you cuddle me?" I asked.

It was a strange request but she came over and started snuggling with me. As that happened, she started talking about her circus life.

Dresserman's Circus was a circus operated by Karl Dresserman. She had joined the Circus after highschool. While she could've had no job, Ms. Byrd wanted life on the open road. She stayed at the circus for ten years.

There was not much respect between all the workers. However, the day before she left Dresserman gave her a gift: an enchanted letter. It would only open for a certain person. Dresserman died the next day and the circus disbanded. She later had a bad one night stand which gave her Clarissa.

"Why are you telling me this?" I asked.

"I want you to protect my Daughter, Prevent her from turning out like me" she responded.

"I promise," I told her.

This was going to be hard...