Chapter 14

Hey everyone! So... as you're reading this, I'd like to thank you VERY MUCH for choosing my story and giving it a chance. And... well... I'd really love it if you guys click on the little star at the bottom of the page and vote for my story. And, more than that, please do comment how you're taking this story so far, what you think of it and any improvements I need to work on. I'd really appreciate it, guys! So... okay, that's all I gotta say. I'll go away now before you all decide to whack me upside my head. Virtually, of course! 😅 Alright... keep reading and stay safe!
---------------------------------------------------------

"Right on time, as always."

I smiled at the replica of me sitting on the bed. She looked so much like me that people would mistake us for twins if not for our age difference. My sister Evangeline was younger than me by eight years and now that she was nearly eighteen years old, we both looked more alike than ever. We had inherited almost all our features from our mother. Same facial structure and same auburn hair.

The only difference in our appearance was our eyes. While she had our mother's beautiful sea green eyes, I was the one to inherit dad's boring chocolate brown ones. I remember when I used to complain that the only thing I did not inherit from my mother had to be her most alluring feature. Oh, how I missed her. Missed them.

Shaking those melancholic thoughts out of my mind, I entered the room and grinned at my sister, matching her own. "I would be a hypocrite if I go on preaching my employees about punctuality and arrive late myself now, wouldn't I?" I replied, subtly accessing her body and facial expression for any pain or discomfort.

She rolled her eyes at me. "C'mon, Eves. It's been two years! You should know by now that you're not being subtle at all. So before you ask, I'm perfectly fine. No pain, no discomfort, no incidents in the past week. Now if you're finished playing strict nurse, I want my sister back. I've already had enough of Linda playing that role perfectly."

I chuckled and raised my hands in surrender. "Alright, alright. Fine. I believe you. Now tell me about your week. And I thought Dr. Jenkins performed some tests on you yesterday? How'd it go? Did he say anything?" I stopped myself before she started scolding me again. From her expression, it looked like she was about to do that, but instead, settled for a glare.

"Nothing unusual. It's not like I could do anything different when I can't even stand on my feet." She replied and I was immediately filled with guilt, grief, regret, despair, hopelessness and every other painful emotions all at once. I tried to hide the hurt before she noticed anything but as with everything else, she saw right through it and flinched. She took hold of my right hand and squeezed it in between her own.

"I'm sorry Eves. I didn't mean to hurt you. But you need to know that you have nothing to feel guilty for. It was meant to happen one way or the other and you shouldn't blame yourself for something that wasn't in your hands. If anything, I should be grateful for having a sister like you, and trust me, I am. If it weren't for you, I wouldn't be what I am today. Hell, I wouldn't even be alive today. I wouldn't have even dreamt of pursuing my dreams.

And don't think for a second that it doesn't make a difference because it does. It has made my life meaningful and I thank God everyday for giving me a sister like you." By the time she finished, both of us had tears in our eyes as we remembered the day that changed our lives forever.