Chapter 15

I've been called a heartless, emotionless, ice cold and many other names over the time and I must say those names didn't really come out of nowhere. Despite what I said about the media earlier, I must say that they were actually accurate on naming me because I was exactly that. At least one of that, for sure. Emotionless.

Over the years, I've mastered the art of schooling my emotions and fixing a stoic expression on my face whenever I interact with general population. Meaning anyone out of 'Eves' list of good people'.

They're correct about the other things too because I am exactly what they've portrayed. I don't let anyone get close to me except the people from 'Eves' list of good people' which includes my sister Eva, my best friend Allie, Jake, my granns and although I'm surprised and grumpy and ashamed to admit... Adrian. Thankfully he's still in trial phase, though. I don't know when he managed to get himself into the list. The sneaky bastard.

Anyways, what I mean to say is, apart from these people, I don't show my true emotions to anyone in any condition. I was proud to say that I've always been able to keep my expression fixed when talking to people out of my list.

Until now.

I couldn't hide my shock and dread fast enough when Keith said that he had bad news. With some effort, I carefully schooled my expression and willed myself to focus on his words before coming into a conclusion myself. It must not be that bad, I'm sure. Eva said she'd been feeling better so there must be something good in that, right?

"What exactly do you mean by bad news, Keith?" I asked him. He hesitated for a while and after a few moments, he seemed to make a decision and sighed. His eyes looked wary and resigned as he spoke.

"We've done various tests over the week. I've assessed her physical strength and neurological response as well. While her physical strength seemed to be normal and could be restored with physical therapy, I'm afraid it's her neurological system that's hindering her mobility. I just looked at her MRI reports and saw that her sciatic nerve seems to be compressed.

It happens in most of accident cases when the person acquires SCI or simply, spinal cord injury. Thankfully, she's only injured her nerve at the lumbar level so the mobility of her upper appendages was unaffected. I've consulted with all the neurosurgeons about her condition but they've all come to the same conclusion."

No, no, no. This can't be happening now. My heart started beating erratically against my chest and I clenched my knuckles so hard I was sure my blood supply was about to be cut off. Then I recalled Eva's expression just a few minutes ago, how hopeful she looked when she said she was feeling better.

I looked at him and asked, "But, Eva just told me that she's been feeling better lately these couple of days. What is that, then?"

He furrowed his eyes at that. "Yes, she told me the same thing too. But I'm afraid, in her case it just means that she's getting her physical strength from her therapy. But as I already said, it's more than just bones and muscles that are responsible mobility. The major role is that of the neurons or the nerves, which seems to be non functioning in Eva's case. I'm really sorry, Eves. But I don't think we can do much in the condition."

No. I refuse to hear that. I could feel my eyes pooled with tears and I swallowed hard. Not willing to give up, I blinked back the tears and took a deep breath.

"Okay. So you mean you can't do anything now. Then what about the other doctors? Surely there are others in the world that have treated similar case before? Just tell me his name and location. I'll take her to the end of the earth if required. Money is not a problem either. Keith, please, just give me the name of the doctor who can make my sister walk again."