Chapter 21

"I'm sorry, Ms. White. You have no idea how much I want to help you. But my wife needs me now, and I can't leave her. I'm really sorry."

I fell down on the couch in disappointment. I'd called, texted, and emailed the doctor so many times since last night that one would think I'd been reduced to stalking a married doctor whose wife had his baby on the way. But still, there was no change in his answer.

I ran my hands through my face as hot tears rolled down my cheeks. I'd never felt so helpless since a long time. The last time I'd felt this, I was helpless. But now, I had money, power and everything anyone would wish for. Everything except what I really needed.

I recalled my sister's happy smile before that unfortunate day, how she would run around the house, giggling at her own silly jokes and pretending to walk on a ramp with the weirdest outfits like dad's shirt that covered her entire being and still pooled at her feet, combined with mom's woolen scarf on her waist and paired with my boots that were too big for her. She would then complete the look with her tiara that dad had given her on her birthday. The Eva's family outfit, she'd call that horrible excuse of clothing. I used to tease her for looking like a deranged clown in animals' circus. It was sometimes unbelievable that she actually ended up being a fashion designer, a splendid one at that, although she hadn't graduated yet.

The ringtone of my phone pulled me out of my thoughts and my heart gave a leap when I saw Dr. Marshall's name on the caller id. I picked up, willing myself not to get my hopes up again as he might be calling to further console me and repeat how sorry he was that he couldn't help.

"Dr. Marshall?"

"Ms. White. When would you like us to discuss Ms. Evangeline's condition? I'd prefer it if we meet up at the hospital or somewhere but we can do it over the phone if you're too busy?"

"It's okay, I und-" It took me a few seconds to understand what he was saying. And when I did, I couldn't believe my ears.

"Pardon me? Please wait a second here. Are you saying what I think you are? Or is it just me hearing things?"

I heard a small chuckle from the other side. "Well, I'm not sure what you're thinking but yes, I said I'm willing to check out Ms. Evangeline's case."

My tears of despair and frustration turned into those of happiness. Now I was sobbing like a pregnant lady high in hormones. I wiped my eyes and tried to compose myself as I realized that Dr. Marshall was still on line, waiting for my emotional state to resemble normal human emotions.

"Thank you so much, doctor! You have no idea what this means to me. I... I just can't believe you're actually willing to help my sister. Thank you! Thank you so much." I breathed out but then remembered he had asked something. "Oh, it's Saturday today and I was actually going to the hospital to meet Eva. Can we talk there today, if that's okay with you? Or we can do it anyway you want. There's nothing more important to me than my sister."

"Very well, then. I need to be at the hospital to collect the documents anyway. So I'll see you there at around 4 PM today. Is that okay with you, Ms. White?"

"Very much. Thanks a lot, doctor!" We hung up and I got ready to go to the hospital. According to Eva, I was only allowed to meet her on Saturdays and Wednesdays as I needed to pay attention to the office since it was named after her. The girl was too big headed for her own good. It reminded me of a certain someone with the same problem. Nope, not going there.