Chapter 11

Pha's pov:

After eating Ming wanted to read so i took him to the reading room.

We spent a few hours reading different books together.

I was surprised at the level of his vocabulary though. He was able to understand books which even some university students have difficulty understanding.

"Ming where did you learn all these things?" I asked him.

"My parents hired a tutor for me when i was 5. I'm a pretty fast learner so i was able to learn these things pretty easily." He said.

"You were made to learn these things when you were only 5?" I frowned.

"Not really. It started off with the very basics but we made really quick progress since i was able to grasp everything easily. So by the time i was 10 i had already learned all these things." he explained.

"Some of these things are university level. Others are things you learn in high school. Why would they want you to study them when you were barely in primary school?" I asked unbelieving.

"I don't know. I never really questioned them. I just followed whatever they told me to do. They said they don't want me to ruin their reputation. So they made me study all this." He looked at the book in his hand.

My frown deepened. "What the hell...."

"They would always tell me to study during my free time. If i did something else like drawing or playing, they would get angry. They said those were useless things. So i spent most of the time drowning myself in studies trying to make them happy. Wanting to be good enough for their love." His eyes pooled with tears.

I took the book from his hand and put it on the table. I then pulled him to sit on my lap.

"You're more than good enough. You don't have to study all the time. You should also play and enjoy. At your current level, you would be considered as a prodigy. I'm proud of you. You don't have to work too hard. Study well but also enjoy yourself." I said softly.

He clutched my shirt tightly.

"I was so happy when we moved here. I was able to play with someone for the first time. I was able to play around and laugh like other kids. Those 7 years were the happiest years of my life." He said.

I tightened my arms around him.

So that's why he never knew how to play any of the games we had. Why he was over the moon even if we just hung out in the garden. Why he would always have a grim expression on his face whenever he had to go home.

Now it all makes sense.

His parents put too much on his shoulders. He should not have been made to learn all this and study 24/7 when he was so young. He barely got to enjoy his childhood.

Ruin their reputation? Fuck their reputation. They care more about maintaining their image than their own son's well being. They don't deserve to be parents.

I could feel my anger rising.

I didn't realise i was holding him too tightly.

"P' i can't breath." He tapped my arm.

I immediately loosened my arms around him.

I wiped the tear trails on his cheeks.

"You don't need to work that hard anymore. We'll love you no matter what. Studying is good but not too much. Ok?" I said.

He smiled and nodded.

Just then the door opened and mom peeked in.

"Pha i need to talk to you." She said seriously.