Chapter 11: Planning a Battle Strategy

So in the last chapter Draven spent the day with Aura in order to make it up to her. Although now Draven must learn about the importance of planning ahead for future battles.

Draven was currently making his way towards the throne room as his father had requested his presence. "I wonder what father could need of me, it must be important considering the urgency of Yuri's message." Draven thought to himself as he continued to walk towards the throne room. He was being followed by CZ, who had been appointed by his father to be his acting bodyguard. Narberal and Lupusregina helped in this duty, but CZ was the primary maid that carried out this order. "Lord Draven, shall I accompany you into the throne room?" CZ asked in her usual monotone voice as she looked over at him.

"I see no problem with it CZ, now shall we make our entrance?" Draven asked the sharpshooting maid who nodded in response. Draven entered the throne room with CZ by his side as he noticed that his father was talking with Demiurge. "Father, I have arrived upon your request." Draven made his presence known to his father and Demiurge. "Ah, Draven thank you for coming on such short notice." Ainz said as he gestured for Draven to join him at his side. "It was no trouble father, now what did you need of me?" Draven asked as he looked at his father and Demiurge with a curious look in his eye.

"Demiurge, would you like to explain?" Ainz said as he looked over at the Arch Devil. "Of course Lord Ainz. Lord Draven I would like to request that you assist with the planning for our next important mission. As the successor to the throne it is important for you to learn these things." Demiurge said as he bows to Draven in respect. Draven now understood why this was such an urgent situation, he was to help with planning. Up until this point Draven had only been supplying Demiurge with books from his library. "Understood Demiurge, please continue." Draven said as the Arch Devil Bows once again before focusing on the matter at hand.

"We are currently planning a info gathering mission in the city of Landschaft. Our top priority will be to sneak within the city walls and gather valuable intel on the current state and defenses of the city." Demiurge explained as he pulled out a map of the city of Krakenveil to show to Ainz and Draven.

"It appears that Landschaft is a heavily agricultural, it appears it's not a city prepared for warfare

"It appears that Landschaft is a heavily agricultural, it appears it's not a city prepared for warfare." Demiurge explained as Ainz and Draven looked over the map of the city. "It appears this will be a rather easy for our soldiers to get within the walls and gather the information we need." Ainz said as he looked over the map with a trained eye. "Not quite father, Landschaft is a rather formidable fortress despite its agricultural roots and peaceful appearance." Draven said as he looked over the map in thought.

"Would you please explain Lord Draven? Perhaps there was information from your Library." Demiurge asked as he waited for the young Lord to respond. "The ruler of Landschaft is what you would call a tyrant. He used his army to attack all nearby villages and settlements. His goal to prevent all farming and crop growth from those places." Draven explained as he started to formulate his next statement. "This of course has led the ruler to be paranoid, this means anyone who wishes to enter Landschaft must have the appropriate papers." Draven continued as Demiurge started to think as well.

              Demiurge was happy to have requested the young Lord's presence in this meeting, it was mostly to see just how smart Lord Draven really was. "It appears our mission will be harder then we initially thought Demiurge." Ainz said as he turned to look at the Arch Devil. "Yes, well there is always the option of sending troops to attack as a diversion, allowing us to enter." Demiurge said although this was obviously not how he wanted to handle the attack. "That's not quite the case Demiurge, we could walk through the front gate completely undetected." Draven chimed in as Demiurge gave him a surprised look.

               "I beg your pardon Lord Draven, what do you mean?" Demiurge asked as he was curious what else Lord Draven was capable of. "Despite being paranoid of attack, Landschaft's ruler is not opposed to cheap labor. Around the beginning of the growing season farmers from all nearby villages and settlements will enter Landschaft with their families for work." Draven explained as Demiurge's eyes widened in surprise as a smile spread across his face. "I see what your suggesting Lord Draven, I'm truly impressed!" Demiurge said as he smiled at the young Lord.

               "Your suggesting we have our soldiers disguise as a poor family coming to Landschaft for work." Demiurge said as Draven cracked a smile of his own. "Yes, I trust you'll be able to fine tune the plan Demiurge. I hope that I was of assistance." Draven said as he smiled at the Arch Devil. "Your help has been invaluable Lord Draven, Lord Ainz please excuse me to continue planning." Demiurge said as Ainz granted him his leave. "Draven, I must say that I am impressed with your progress so far since joining Nazarick." Ainz said as he was truly proud of his adopted son's accomplishments since he took him in.

"I simply wish to assist in anyway I can father, this is only the start." Draven said as he looked up to his father. "While I appreciate your willingness to help Nazarick achieve its goals. I also don't want you to give up your time to be a child as well." Ainz said as he truly didn't want Draven to feel the need to grow up so quickly, especially after the life he's led up until this point. To Ainz'a surprise Draven climbed up onto his throne and wrapped his arms around the skeleton's neck. "I promise to try father, I'm still adjusting to a normal life." Draven said as he hugged his father as he fell Ainz rest a hand on his back.

"Understood Draven, now I would like to continue training you personally when time will allow. For now please rest for the day." Ainz said as Draven bowed to his father before walking up to CZ as the two of them took their leave from the throne room. "Draven, you truly are an extraordinary child. Nazarick has truly improved since your arrival." Ainz thought to himself as if he could smile he would be smiling right now. Ainz continued to think about the next course of action once Demiurge finished working out all the details for the plan.

                Draven walked through the halls of Nazarick as he was followed by CZ. "Lord Draven if I may be so forward, Lord Ainz is correct, you shouldn't try and grow up so fast." CZ said in her monotone voice, but Draven could tell she was concerned. "Don't worry CZ, I promise to enjoy my childhood while I can." Draven said as he smiled at the sharpshooting maid. CZ also smiled as she scooped Draven up into her arms and hugged him to her chest. "Apologies Lord Draven, please allow this maid a moment of selfishness." CZ said as she sat down with Draven in her lap.

                  Draven couldn't help but smile as he returned the hug. "Of course CZ, please continue." Draven said as he let the maid continue to hug him. Eventually the two broke apart and continued on their way. "There you are Lord Draven! Come on, Mare and I were just about to play a game in the forest!" Draven turned to find Aura running up to him. "Of course Aura, I just finished talking to my father and Demiurge." Draven said as he let the Dark Elf drag him towards the sixth floor. CZ followed behind the two with a smile across her face as she watched Lord Draven and Aura interact with one another. Draven's life truly changed for the better when he was brought to Nazarick.

So I wanted to show off Draven's intelligence with this chapter. I also showed that Ainz does care quite a bit about Draven and does worry about Draven. Now the real question is will Draven take part in the infiltration of Landschaft? Also CZ is the main bodyguard for Draven and Narberal and Lupusregina assist with protecting him as well. What awaits Draven next in Nazarick? How will he handle the challenges that await him? Will he be able to continue to grow? Find out in the next chapter of Overlord: Child of the Library!