Chapter 12: Training and Chess

In the last chapter Draven helped plan Nazarick's next attack with Demiurge and Ainz. Although Draven still has plenty to learn despite his great amount of intelligence.

Draven was currently in the amphitheater with a training rapier in hand as Cocytus stood across from him with a training sword and shield in two of his four hands. While Draven specialized in magic, his father believed it would be in his best interest to become proficient with one weapon. Draven never had the strongest body even for a ten year old, so the Rapier seemed like a smart choice considering he was rather agile. "Are you ready Lord Draven?" Cocytus asked as he looked at the young Lord. "I am quite ready Cocytus." Draven said as he got into and appropriate fighting stance.

             Cocytus lunges forward as he swung his practice sword at Draven, the young Lord slid to the side before thrusting his training Rapier at Cocytus. Cocytus blocked the attack with his shield before slashing at Draven once again. Draven deflected the attack with his Rapier before rolling out of the way of a follow up attack. "Cocytus is unmatched in close quarters combat. Maybe I should try a new strategy." Draven thought to himself as he once again got into a proper fighting stance. Draven channeled a small amount of dark magic energy into his training Rapier as he lined up his attack.

             Draven preformed three quick thrusts into the air in front of him as three black magic needles flew towards Cocytus. Cocytus blocked the three magic needles with his training shield, but it broke after the third magic needle impacted the shield. Draven charged towards Cocytus as he aimed a thrust at his chest, but Cocytus knocked the Rapier out of Draven's hand with his sword. Draven collapsed as he panted from the training. They had been at this for three hours now and he was slowly making progress. "Well done Lord Draven, you've been making good progress in your training." Cocytus said as he helped the young Lord back onto his feet.

                Draven sat down next to Cocytus as they were finally done for the day and were recovering. "I appreciate your willingness to learn Lord Draven, I know magic is your preferred way of fighting." Cocytus said as he looked over at the child. "On the contrary Cocytus, I do appreciate your teachings a great deal. While magic is what I specialize in, I cannot rely on it alone so training with you is just as important as my training with Narberal and my Father." Draven said as he looked over at the warrior. "Your words are much to kind Lord Draven, but it does give me joy to know that you appreciate the training I have been giving you." Cocytus said as patted Draven on the top of his head.

Draven let a small smile spread across his face as Cocytus patted the top of his head, he always found the insect warrior to be rather good company. "Yes, well I have also been practicing enchanting weapons in my free time. So far I've only been able to preform simple enchantments on a few knives." Draven said as he started to think of how he could better his enchanting skills. Cocytus picked Draven up before sitting him on his shoulders. "Your dedication to self betterment is admirable Lord Draven, but you should not forget to enjoy yourself as well. Come I believe Aura and Mare wanted you to join them after training." Cocytus said as Draven gently wrapped his arms around the top of Cocytus's head as the insect warrior carried him out of the amphitheater.

In the Dining Room
Draven was currently sitting at a table with Sebas in the chair across from him as they both stared at a chessboard. This was another one of Draven's favorite pastimes, playing chess with Sebas. The butler had asked him if he would like to play a game with him during his second week at Nazarick and it had become somewhat of a tradition for the two ever since. They had both been playing for a little over an hour at this point and both seemed to have the other in a tough position. It was currently Draven's turn and the boy knew he had to make his next move very carefully as if he even made the slightest error, Sebas would take completely advantage of it.