Chapter 13: Father's Standpoint

Whenever the mother and two daughters argued, Li Jinzhong always held an accepting and neutral standpoint; he cared about both sides and didn’t want to be harsh to his own family. But, his position as head of the family was stable, so Fang Meixian had no choice but to surrender.

Li Weiyin couldn’t be bothered clinging to the matter. After all, Li Jinzong had just woken up. Although he looked a bit more energetic after eating a bowl of congee, she didn’t want to stress him with her grievances.

The room fell silent. Only when Li Weiyin started tidying up and was prepared to leave, did Li Weixin ask softly, “Daddy…is our family really going bankrupt?”

Li Weiyin lowered her eyes and tried to hide the coldness in her gaze.

Li Jinzong reached out his hand, patted his younger daughter on the head, and said lovingly, “I will think of something when I get better. We may not be as wealthy as we are now, but I won’t let you stress about putting food on the table.”

Li Weixin’s eyes immediately turned red, “Daddy, does that mean the company founded by grandfather can’t be protected?”

This one sentence fell on Li Jinzong’s heart like a boulder. Lijia Jewelry was his father’s entire life. His father passed it to him just before he died and he vowed that he would protect it even if he couldn’t expand it.

Lijia was a homonym for Li Family (also pronounced Li Jia in Mandarin). If Lijia collapsed, would the Li Family still exist?

“Jinzhong, we haven’t hit a dead end yet. Didn’t I tell you earlier? Mrs. Xu…”

“Dad, everyone should take responsibility in a family crisis,” Li Weiyin interrupted her mother’s words. She turned around and looked clearly at her father with her naturally sly cat-eyes, “Dad, I got a boyfriend half a year ago and I was planning to have you meet him when you were free. He will be able to help us.”

“Who’s your boyfriend?” Li Jinzong was still unaware of this matter.

“Lou Yucheng.”

Li Jinzong immediately looked at Li Weiyin with a happy smile and a proud look in his eyes, “You are my daughter indeed. That arrogant punk actually settled in your hands.”

Li Jinzong had seen Lou Yucheng many times and admired this young talented man. He was also envious that the Lou Family had an heir like that. Who knew that the young man he admired would end up being his prospective son-in-law. How satisfying.

After his happiness faded, Li Jinzhong said with seriousness, “Invite him here. I want to chat with him. We can accept his assistance, but we can’t make you lower your head before him.”

The Li Family was going through a crisis because Li Jinzhong had acted as a guarantor and breached the bank’s trust. Moreover, it was because of his negligence that a company spy managed to cause trouble at the company. But, that didn’t mean he should sell his daughter.

Since his daughter’s boyfriend was willing to help, Li Jinzong was naturally accepting it, but he didn’t want to take advantage and gain something for nothing. Otherwise, how would his daughter hold her head high around her boyfriend’s family?

“Jinzhong, Mrs. Xu also proposed to combine our families through marriage and she even revealed her son’s condition to us. If we do this, we will offend her,” Fang Meixian panicked.

The fact was, Fang Meixian rejected Lou Yucheng because Li Weixin had weighed the pros and cons for her. If Mrs. Xu never proposed, things would have been fine, but she already spoke up and they already knew Young Master Xu’s secret.

She agreed that the Lou Family wasn’t any worse than the Xu Family. But, the Li Family were based in Jin City, a place where the Xu Family ruled.

If they offended the Lou Family, the Xu Family could protect them, but if they offended the Xu Family, the Lou Family were too far away to help.