N√I√N√E

Keith's POV

Everything is so loud...

I can't hear my own thoughts...

What's happening...? Where am I?

You're failure.

Who are you?

You can't even die properly, you piece of shit.

Die...? Oh yeah...I died...I tried...to die...is this hell? Where are the other demons...?

You IDIOT! This isn't hell! You didn't kill yourself! Listen to the beeping! We're in a hospital! Just open your eyes!

I listened to the loud persistent beeping of some kind of machine. It began to quicken the pace as I soon realized that I failed to die. 

I tiredly opened my eyes and was blinded by the light in the room.

I tried to speak, but no words came out.

"He's becoming conscious! BPM is rising fast!" A muffled female voice yelled.

I could feel people rush around me. My vision was still hazy, so I couldn't make out who this person was, but she hovered over me and started asking me questions I couldn't really understand. It was like some of her speech was garbled. I tried to lift my hand to remove the thing that was strapped to my face, but I couldn't. It was like I was paralyzed. Scared, I felt tears prick at my eyes.

I can't do anything if I can't move.

I'm useless.

"He's hyperventilating! Give him a dose of Tsuchine!"

Lance's POV

After 2 days of Keith being in the space hospital, we finally got a call. It was me and Hunk at the hospital while the others were at the castle, resting. I was chatting with Him about things.

"Hey, have you figured out what your'e going to tell him?" Hunk asked me, suddenly.

"Huh? About...what?" I asked, confused.

"About what he wrote in his note. You know. How he said he loved you and stuff." He said.

The sudden use of the L-word made me choke on my own breath and my face got red. I looked away from him, who had this confused look on his innocent cinnamon roll face. I gulped.

"Uh...I...I'm not into dudes, though..." I said, voice wavering.

"Well sure, but I asked what you're gonna tell him. I mean, you can't just turn him down after what he's going through." Hunk said.

I looked down. I had actually really thought about what he said about me in that note. I couldn't stop thinking about it. He said so many nice things about me, despite how I treated him. I've never said one nice thing about him. He said he loved me. But, he said it so...so sadly. He said he had never been loved. I couldn't even begin to imagine how that feels, because I was surrounded by such a loving family...but, he was convinced he had no one left in life. I want to be there for him. I don't know if I love him the same way, but I just don't want to leave him alone again.

And that's what I'm going to do.

Before I could answer Hunk, a female nurse  started walking towards us. We recognized her as one of the nurses watching over Keith. Hunk and I stood up as she approached. She seemed pretty determined.

"Is he--"

"He's conscious," She said, interrupting Hunk.

"Can we--"

"As soon as he awoke, he seemed disoriented and began to hyperventilate. We gave him a dose of Tsuchine, which calmed him down. He's currently resting, but he is awake." She explained.

"Tsuchi...what? What's that?" I asked, worried. We were in a space alien hospital, so what did this thing do exactly??

"It's a powerful sedative. We can't have his heart rate going up the way it did. He's in a relaxed state. But, now I fear that we must discuss his mental history. Usual patients don't freak out the way the red paladin did, and his injury is self inflicted...I need to know whether he is a danger to himself or others." She explained.

Hunk and I glanced at each other. We didn't know anything for certain and Shiro only confirmed that he had delusions after being taken from the McShaws. We didn't know the extent of it.

"Uh...I think it's safe to assume Keith is suicidal...uh, but...well, we don't know anything for certain...we think he has hallucinations and suffers from depression...he's never seen anyone about it, though..." I said. I wasn't sure if I was allowed to tell her these things, but I had to think about what was best for Keith. These people could help him.

"I see...if that is the case, I will proceed to call in our mental health specialist and determine the issues. Usually, he determines what he is suffering from and prescribes medication and a therapist if needed. So do I have permission to send him to our mental health wing once he is physically stable enough?" She asked.

"Uh...I think we should talk to the others about this..." Hunk worriedly said.

"You have my permission." I said to her.

"Huh?!" Asked Hunk, shocked I ignored him.

"If it'll help Keith, then of course. I'll do anything for him." I said.

"W-Well, I think it's a good idea, too, but..." It looked like Hunk was worried about me making such a big decision, but Keith needs help. There's just no denying that.

"Okay, I will make the preparations. His wound is healing nicely and we believe that he should be fully healed within 37 Vargas. If all goes as it should, then our mental health specialist will speak to Keith and determine the level of treatment he needs. But, we will need his history." She explained.

"Uh...well, Keith doesn't really have any family back on our home planet, Earth, so the only one who knows about Keith is...Keith..." I said. Yes, I lied. I just didn't want to bring up Shiro, because he has nothing to do with Keith anymore. I won't let that guy even share the same air as Keith!

"I see. Well, we have alternative methods. For Morps (basically the same thing as John/Jane Doe's), we often use a machine which will allow us to see his memories. Even the ones he repressed. Before we use that, though, I will have someone talk to him and make him feel safe." She explained.

"Uh...Y-Yeah. please do..." I said. I didn't know if Keith wanted us reaching into his memories, but...well, what else was I supposed to say? "When do you think we can see him?"

"Not until his psychiatric evaluation is finished, so I'd give it a couple more days. I am willing to give him a message." She said.

I nodded. "T-tell him that we love him and we really miss him...and that none of this is his fault."

She nodded, writing it down on her clipboard. I had never felt so anxious before in my life. I felt solely responsible for Keith, because someone has to be! Shiro's only makes things worse, allura is only slightly better than Shiro with the whole Galra thing, and with Pidge and Hunk...I dunno, I just feel like the job has to go to me since they aren't stepping in to take it.

But...quiznak...I really want to see Keith...I hope he can forgive me...