Chapter Twelve

"Wait just one minute," he says next, "I have some paperwork for you."  Then he starts writing on a piece of paper.  "If you could sign this."  And then he slides the paper over to me.

We believe you.  I think my office is bugged.  Go on a walk with Mason, and he'll explain what we think is going on.

I look up at him in astonishment, then sign my name at the bottom to keep up the pretense, and slide it back to him.  In a daze I walk back to the living room to find Mason in his borrowed wheelchair.
"You ready to go?" I ask.
"Yep." I put my hand on his back, and he stands up. We go out to the car.  In the car I start to ask him,  but he gives me a look that says "shut up" so I leave it.  When we get to the cabin, he asks, "would you like to go for a walk?"
We get some ways from the cabin before he starts to speak.
"Jessa wasn't pregnant before she left.  She faked it.  We don't know why.  We don't know what's going on with her litter or why she disappeared, but we do know she planned the attack that day.  I'm sorry we've been ignoring you.  I didn't want her to see you as a threat."
"Why didn't you tell me all of this before she came back."
"We didn't know she was planning on coming back.  We didn't start to figure all this out until today and my dad found a hidden camera in his office."
"How did she plant that if she's been in the clinic?"
"She's working with someone.  We think it's her dad.  Her parents have a lot of influence in certain circles and that's why my parents had that conversation you overheard in the clinic.  They wanted to reassure him.  When dad ran out of his office he was in such a hurry that he didn't lock it, and Jessa's father left the clinic first.
"So does Luna Victoria knows too?"
"She and my dad talk about everything.  There's nothing going on in the pack that she doesn't know.  We can't keep Jessa in the clinic anymore.  There's nothing wrong with her.  She's going to move into our guest room."
Keep your enemies closer.  I feel my lip rise in a snarl.