Chapter Twenty Eight

"Come in Mrs. Davis," Dr Graham said.
"Please call me Chloe," I say sitting in the chair in front of her desk.  "Are the babies okay?"
"Yes, the kick landed on your ribcage instead of your stomach or abdomen.  We did a scan to be sure while you were out, and everyone's fine."
"Thank you," I say relieved.
"Chloe, I need to talk to you about something.  Mason -"
"I don't want to talk about Mason."
"Well, you need to hear this.  Mason was told he would never have children.  That he was infertile because of damage done during his accident.  I wasn't the one who diagnosed it.  That was a specialist he went to.  He was devastated.  After discussing things with him I believe that intimacy with you has healed him unexpectedly.  We should have seen it coming because you were able to heal his back, but no one foresaw this."
"That doesn't change that he threw me out, knowing I was pregnant, with no where to go.  He believed so quickly that I cheated.  He never trusted me.  He never truly accepted me.  Once I healed him, I was disposable."
"Just talk to him."
"Oh, like he let me talk?"
"You're married.  Linked for life.  You need him, and he needs you."
"I have to go.  Thank you doctor."
I walked into the waiting room, and Connor and Mason were there.  Mason had the bag that I'd left unpacked at the hotel.  It was full again so he must have repacked it.  They stood up when I came out into the room.  I walked up to Mason and grabbed the bag without saying a word then went into a room to change into clothes.
When I got back to Connor and Mason they were still standing together in the waiting room.  Mason looked to Connor, and then said, "I know you don't want anything to do with me, but please come stay at the cabin."
"There's no way..."
"I won't be there.  I'm moving in with Connor, and I'm going to get some counseling.  I know things aren't right with me, and I need to deal with everything that's happened before I can move on.  I would be happiest if it was with you, but I understand if that won't work."
"Okay..." I clear my throat.  "Good.  In that case I'll stay at the cabin.  Um, what happened with the men who chased me.?"
"They were wolves.  We never saw their human faces, but we captured one.  He won't change out of wolf form, so right now he's locked up."
"So, I'm safe to go home.  Right?"
Connor answers this one.  "Yeah, I put your boxes in the garage.  I'm going to be working with Mason full time, but I can send someone over to help you unpack."
"No that's okay.  I'm not sure I want to unpack completely."