Chapter 5

The first day of classes was rough. Well, for Ryan who had started the morning by christening our toilet with the first drunken vomit of the year. 

"Who let me drink so much last night?" she cried, pulling her shirt on.

"Blaise tried to get you to stop drinking at one point but you jinxed him," I laughed, tugging my school jumper over my head.

Weak September sun warmed up the grounds outside and birds chipped loudly outside our window.

"Silencio," muttered Ryan quietly and the birds were mute. 

Millicent and Pansy had only been at the party for an hour, they had returned to bed after Pansy had struck out with Draco and as a result they had gone down to breakfast far before us. I glanced at my watch, 40 minutes until class.

I picked up the books I'd need for the first three lessons and shoved my wand in my robe pocket "Let's go, Ryan, I'll fix your tie at breakfast."

We hurried out of the dorms and down to the Great Hall for breakfast. Most people had finished breakfast by then and were hanging out in the corridors or enjoying the morning sun. The only person at the Slytherin table was, of course, Malfoy.

"Morning Malfoy!" Ryan called, sliding in across from him and grabbing all the bread she could. I debated grabbing a roll and going to sit outside alone but I knew I had to do Ryan's tie and anyway, how was I supposed to find my way around the castle without her? 

Draco simply nodded at Ryan, avoiding looking at me at all.

"Rough night? Me too, should've seen me this morning, basically projectile, wasn't it Fiadh?" 

I wanted to laugh, but I was caught up trying to find Valentine again but the only people at the Hufflepuff table appeared to be first years...The best I could muster was a grunt in agreement.

"Wow, tough crowd, ok then, I get it, silent breakfast it is."

It didn't remain silent for long, though. I was just setting into my second piece of toast and jam when Pansy came over, scowling at Ryan and me.

"Good morning Draco!" she purred, sitting down beside him.

Draco didn't even glance up but muttered a lack lustre "morning."

"You were up early, Pansy. Didn't have fun last I guess? " Ryan asked, glancing quickly over at me with a smirk.

Pansy blushed, seemingly remembering why she'd left.

"We have Potions first this morning and I... didn't want to be hungover for it," she was clutching at straws but Ryan didn't push it further. 

"What difference does it make?" Malfoy spoke his first proper words of the day, "School doesn't really matter anymore, does it?"

"Draco, what do you mean?" Pansy said, turning sharply.

"I mean," he drawled, looking up now from his half eaten porridge, "That I don't see the point in being here this year."

Not even Pansy had anything to say to that. Ryan glanced over at me, raising her eyebrows as Draco got up off the bench, Pansy following shortly after.

"What do you suppose he's up to?" asked Ryan, tearing apart a bread roll.

I shrugged, "I don't know the boy really, he's probably just trying to seem cool or something."

"Yeah, I guess...he's always liked Hogwarts though. Something's changed this year..." 

"Maybe he finally joined those Death Eaters now that there's a free space where his Dad was" I joked and started to fix her tie for her.

"Shh! Don't say that. Draco wouldn't... I know he comes off cruel but he's really not that bad. I can't imagine that..." Her face fell as she watched Draco greet Crabbe and Blaise.

"Well, sometimes people do the thing you'd least expect."