Chapter 24

I woke suddenly. It took my brain a moment to remember where I was but the memories of last night washed over me, overwhelming me. Then I realised I had been awoken by a loud crack. I looked around, twitching the curtain open and nearly fell backwards when I saw the house elf standing there, dutifully carrying a pile of clothes.

"I have brought Miss clothes and have run the bath for you, Miss," she squeaked gesturing for me to follow her, I looked around for my robes to cover my body but evidentally she had taken them away to be cleaned. Or destroyed. Luckily the bathroom was an en suite and I wouldn't have to sneak around the manor half naked. The bathroom was darkly tiled with another clawfooted monstrosity. The bath overlooked the great gardens of the Malfoy Manor. The elf had filled the bath with steaming water and scented bubbles. 

"Will Miss be needing anything else?" 

I shook my head, "No, thank you, Pilky."

The House Elf bowed lowly and scuttled out of the room. The bath was a welcomed surprise. My body ached from everything that had happened yesterday and it soothed my body, washing away all the grime and dirt from my body. 

The clothes Pilky had left me was a dark green and black dress, simple but it was much better than the dirty robes I'd come in here with. I brushed my dark wet hair back as I examined myself in the mirror. I was not the same girl who had come to Hogwarts. My face was paler and more hollow, bags framing my eyes. I pulled at my skin, examining every nook and cranny of my face before heading into the bedroom once more. 

To my surprise Draco sat on the edge of the bed. 

"What're you doing here?" I asked

"I brought you breakfast," he gestured to the dresser where there sat a tray of toast and asorted fruits.

"Oh, you're a regular housewife you are, Draco," I joked, biting into a piece of toast. He didn't laugh.

"He's coming tonight."

Way to ruin my mood. What bigger vibe killer was there than "The darkest wizard that ever lived is coming for tea tonight oh yeah and you'll be initiated into his little fraternity."

"Fantastic," I muttered through a mouthful of toast.

"I don't think you realise what he's like," Draco said, giving me a hard look.

I rolled my eyes, "Funnily enough, Malfoy, I actually haven't met the Dark Lord, considering he disappeared for, like, 15 years."

My humour really wasn't doing it for Draco this morning.

"Whatever happens, you need to be ready."

I stared at him, was I not getting a great big dirty tattoo, swearing some oath? Was that not what I had to do?

"What do you mean, Draco? You're acting weird again." 

He shook his head, "I'm not, I'm just warning you."

"So... is there like a ceremony or something?" I asked, picking at the fruit.

"There will be... questions and then he'll put the Mark on you," Draco looked down at his hands, not meeting my eyes. There was something he wasn't telling me and I couldn't pinpoint it. Before I could ask anymore questions there came a loud tapping at the window. I looked over an Draco's eagle owl was there, a letter in its mouth. I got up to go get it but Draco told me to sit down and got it himself. He quickly read it and then just as fast he burned it. 

"What the hell, Malfoy?" I asked, this was entirely strange behaviour.

"Doesn't matter, just a note from Crabbe, updating me on Hogwarts. They've gone on tight lockdown. Dumbledore's funeral is next week."