Chapter 11

The next few weeks went by in a blur. Harry and I were hanging out way more, sometimes Hermione, Ryan and Ron would join us but we spent a lot of time out on the Quidditch pitch because, as captain of the Gryffindor team, he knew when it would be free. I had no idea how to fly and Harry found that hilarious, trying to convince me to get up on a broom but I vehemently refused.

"I just don't trust them!" I cried, one blustery November evening. Harry had been able to get us into the special referee's room with his captain privilege. It was only small with a kettle and some stale biscuits. It wasn't our first time in here though and we'd been smart enough to bring our own treats. Harry's favourites were Bertie Botts Ever Flavoured Beans. I honestly couldn't have picked a more Gryffindor sweet for him to like, Bertie Botts were an adventure in themselves and I wasn't willing to risk eating an earwax flavour one for the thrill of getting a bubblegum one.

We had made tea and were sitting at the tiny table, listening to the wind howl outside. It was peaceful.

"Did you hear what happened to Katie Bell?" Harry asked, stirring his tea.

"Yeah, Draco was the one who told us," I said, "it's so scary, is she going to be alright?"

"Draco told you?" Harry ignored my question.

I nodded, mouth full of biscuit, "Yeah, he came back that evening and he looked so upset over it, he didn't even like the girl but he was freaked."

"Really? He was freaked out? Why would he be freaked?" Harry asked, nonchalantly.

I looked at him in confusion, "Um, maybe because that means there's some wizard in Hogsmeade trying to curse students?" 

"Oh...yeah, sorry, you're right," he stuttered.

I raised my eyebrow at him but didn't say anything further. 

The weather was getting colder and Christmas was fast approaching. The Christmas trees had been placed in all the dorms and all over the castle and Peeves had begun throwing snowballs at students.

It was the first day of snow and Ryan and I had decided to go build a snowman down by the lake. We were placing the finishing touches on it when we spotted Harry and Hermione coming down towards the us.

"That's a great snowman," smiled Hermione, embracing Ryan.

Harry pulled me to his side, "Ryan, Fiadh, we have proposition for you fine ladies," he said in a grand voice.

I rolled my eyes, "Go on, so."

"Go to Slughorn's party with us?" they said in unison.

Ryan and I looked at each other and burst out laughing at this.

Hermione and Harry looked at each other and then us.

"What's so-"

"I'm just imagining them in the common room practicing that," I said through laughs to Ryan, causing her to clutch her sides.

"Don't, don't, I'm going to pee-"

"Well if you don't want to come, Harry and I can just go together," Hermione said, folding her arms.

"We're only messing, of course we'll go with you," I said, gathering myself.

"Good," said Harry, grinning slyly at me. I backed away, wondering why he was smiling like that. But I wasn't far enough away before he pelted me hard with a snowball. I was so shocked I didn't know how to react. Ryan had started laughing at me but Hermione had thrown an even bigger one at Ryan, making her gasp in betrayal.