Chapter 21

Through the gap in the door I saw Dumbledore's wand flying in an arc over the edge of the ramparts, Dumbledore had been disarmed. Still, without his wand he showed no sign of panic or distress, his face was simply paling. He looked over at his disarmer and said "Good evening Draco."

My sick feeling had been right. Draco stood in the green light, his eyes darting around to make sure he was alone with Dumbledore. I could see him spot the second broom. Harry's broom.

"Who else is here?" he spat, keeping his wand trained on the professor.

My mind was racing, surely he was not hoping to use that curse, here, against Albus Dumbledore. I was sure Dumbledore knew wandless magic. Surely Draco Malfoy would not be the boy to put an end to the greatest wizard in the past century.

"A question I might ask you. Or are you acting alone?"

My heart sank. I knew he wasn't, I was cowering in a closet but there were fully grown Death Eaters in the castle.

"No, I've got back-up. There are Death Eaters here in your school tonight." Draco's eyes were steely.

"Well, well," said Dumbledore, in a nonchalant way. As if he was expecting this. "Very good indeed. You found a way to let them in did you?"

"Yeah," panted Malfoy, "Right under your nose and you never realised!"

It was beginning to dawn on me that Dumbledore did know. And if he knew about Draco... surely he knew about me.

"Ingenious...Yet, forgive me... where are they now? You seem unsupported."

"They met some of your guard." So Ginny, Luna, Neville and Val had been successful in getting back up but they were now facing wizards with twice as much experience. I should've been with them instead of cowering in a closet. "They're having a fight down below. They won't be long... I came on ahead. I- I've got a job to do."

So, I had been right. Draco was planning on closing Dumbledore's final chapter. Cold washed over me. He was too young to do this. He was hardly expected to kill such a strong wizard. This was a cruel set up. He'd be killed.

"Well, the, you must get on and do it, my dear boy," said Dumbledore softly.

Silence. Draco couldn't do it. He stared at Dumbledore who simply smiled in return.

"Draco, Draco, you are not a killer."

Dumbledore could tell Draco didn't want to do it. That it wasn't fair to make him do this.

"How do you know?" Malfoy said quickly, flushing. "You don't know what I'm capable of and you don't know what I've done! I cursed Katie Bell and that poison that ended up in Weasley-"

Dumbledore smiled mildly, "You have been trying, with increased desperation, to kill me all year. Forgive me, Draco, but they have been feeble attempts... then, you got Ms Rose involved."

Draco stiffened visibly, "You've no idea... She wanted to help."

Dumbledore remained placid, "Only after you told her what happened to her mother. Did you really think she wouldn't join you after that? You saw the dark in her and brought it out..."

I could see Draco pale in the green light, "I didn't mean to get her involved. I didn't want anyone else..."

"Yes, Draco...I know. Your attempts to kill me however, have been futile and I wonder if your heart really is in it..."

"It is in it!" he spat vehemently. "I've been working on it all year and tonight-"

There came a scream from downstairs and a crash. I froze, straining to hear  and so did Draco.