Chapter 23

There was a feeling as though a hook had latched onto my nave and pulled me forward. Then with an ungraceful thump, I landed face first. Opening my eyes, the first think I saw was hardwood floors, turning over I took in my surroundings. Large black front doors, high ceilings from which a chandelier hung, a grand staircase not unlike the ones at Hogwarts. Dark green walls hosted gold framed portraits of sleeping wizards. I looked over and saw the tyre and Malfoy. He was looking just as shaken as I felt, standing up he said in a sarcastic tone, "Welcome to Malfoy Manor." So this was where Draco lived. Malfoy Manor. How pretentious. It suited him. 

"My mother is probably expecting us," he said gesturing to an intricately carved door at the end of the dark hall. Wordless I stood and followed him down the hall. The house was dimly lit and smelled like old books. If I had been in a better mood I would've been reminded of the Slytherin dungeons. Draco pushed the door open revealing a large room, decorated similarly to the entrance hall but with furnishings. A marble fireplace stood lit against the back wall, over which hung a gilt framed portrait of Draco and who I could only assume were his parents . In front of the fire was a large, green velvet chaise lounge and two high-backed green armchairs with taloned feet. They really took Slytherin pride to another level. 

On the two armchairs sat two stiff looking people. Bellatrix and a blonde haired woman who I took to be  Mrs Malfoy. Once again the hatred that had fuelled me before rose in me. The woman who killed my mother sat in front of me.

"You," I said coldly as Bellatrix looked over.

"Oh hello, Fiadh, Draco," she sneered. 

Draco's mother rose quickly from her seat and ran to her son whom she embraced. Draco stiffened, patting his mother quickly on her back. She took his face in her hands, "You're not hurt are you, Draco?"

"Of course he's not hurt, Narcissa," scowled Bellatrix. "He did not even try to kill the old man. Weak boy."

Narcissa ignored the dark haired woman and  moved her attention to me. 

"So, you're Fiadh Rose," her tone was not angry or intimidating, it was a simple question. I nodded, my hand gripped tight on my wand, my eyes darting between Bellatrix and Mrs Malfoy. Mrs Malfoy gestured towards to the chaise lounge, "Sit, please." I hesitated, letting Draco sit first. The room was lit only by the light of the fire and two lanterns either side of it emitting a green glow. 

"I've heard you helped Draco this year," Mrs Malfoy continued, snapping her fingers.

A small house elf appeared, bulging eyes and filthy robe.

"Pilky, please bring tea for my son and his...friend." 

The house elf nodded enthusiastically, "Yes miss, at once miss," and disappeared once more.

"I knew your mother, you know... unfortunate what happened," she glanced at her sister. The two couldn't be more dissimilar; Bellatrix with her wild black curls and beady eyes, her sallow skin and yellowed teeth, Narcissa blonde and quite beautiful and although she did possess the same black eyes they were not half as evil as her sister's. Bellatrix leaned back in the armchair, examining her nails.

"Must we reminisce, Cissy?" she drawled, the fire light casting unflattering shadows over her face.

"I am simply talking with the girl who quite possibly saved Draco, Bella," the blonde woman said curtly as a tray materialised on the coffee table. It bared a silver tea pot, two black mugs with snakes as handles, a matching milk jug and a jewel encrusted spoon. She waved her wand and the tea pot began to pour itself into the mugs.