Chapter 20

The halls of Hogwarts were mysteriously empty, the eerie silence made me shiver as our footsteps echoed. There were no teachers on the prowl, no ghosts and no peeves. We sped up as we neared the 7th floor. Once the door appeared we quickly snuck inside, heading to the cabinet. An abandoned alarm clock that haphazardly jumped around the floor read midnight.

 My head was swimming. Never in my wildest dreams had I thought that coming to Hogwarts would lead to... this. I had come here determined to find out what Draco knew, convinced my mother had been wrongfully killed. But knowing now what he knew... Maybe she had deserved her fate. For being traitorous and for being a coward. I hated myself just for thinking that way. It was hard to see my mother in good lighting at the best of times but after finding out she'd been a Death Eater... It had snapped something in me. I wasn't as pure as I had thought, my blood was the same as hers. Just as dirty and evil. How could I not do this? Surely it was what I was supposed to do. But doubt was running through me, causing my heart to speed up, my thoughts running wild. Did this not make me a bad person? Helping Draco bring the same people in here that killed my mother? Who killed Harry's parents and countless other peoples families. 

"Rose are you listening?" Draco said, snapping me out of my deep thoughts. I could see the panic in his face. I knew he was just as scared as I was.

"Sorry, what did you say?"

He sighed, "I need you to go to the Astronomy Tower, that's where I'll be bringing this lot. They'll be up there by 12:45."

I nodded, turning to leave but stopping myself.

"Draco... You know you're not evil right?" I said, keeping my voice steady.

He shook his head, "Not this again, Rose, go."

"What is it that you have to do tonight?" I persisted.

"Go, now."

I struggled not to scream at the boy and left The Room of Requirement. As I left the room I made up my mind. I didn't run in the direction of the Astronomy Tower, instead I headed down to the teacher's quarter. I needed to get McGonagall or Snape or anyone. Then, before I could make it half way to the teacher's quarters I heard muffled talking coming from a classroom. Hoping it would be a teacher I swung the door open, only to find Neville, Ginny, Luna and Valentine. 

They turned towards me, gapping, I could see their brains working overtime to find an excuse but I didn't care.

"I need your help," I said, voice shaking.

They exchanged glances secretly, raising their eyebrows at each other.

"Please, bad people are coming into the school tonight and-"

"We know," said Ginny, defiantly.

I stared, open mouthed at her. She knew? So why wasn't Dumbledore here to protect the castle? Why weren't teachers awake.

"You...know?" I asked weakly.

She nodded, "And we don't need your help."

I stared between the four of them. Luna gave me a kind smile and Neville refused to look at me. Valentine was staring at Ginny, a conflicting look on her face.

"What do you know?" Valentine asked, ignoring Ginny's glare.

"They're going to go up to the Astronomy Tower... We need to protect the other students, they have no idea..."

Valentine's face dropped, "How many?" 

"I don't know, half a dozen? a dozen? I'm not sure."

Valentine glanced at Ginny as if asking her what to do.

"Neville, go to Snape, tell him to alert the order. Luna, get the Ravenclaws who were in the DA and guard the halls. Valentine, get the Hufflepuffs. I'll get the Gryffindors and you..." she turned her eyes to me finally.

"What have you been told to do?" Ginny said cooly like she already knew the answer.

"I-" I struggled to find some sort of lie but it was fruitless.

"And don't lie, Rose. Harry saw you and Malfoy all over the school together. I know you're in on it."

My face fell. Everyone knew that I was willing to bring Death Eaters into the school, risking other people's lives.

"I was told to go to the Astronomy Tower," I admitted and I could feel Valentine's disapointed gaze resting on me.

"Fine, act like nothing has changed. Go up there and try keep the damage to the tower."

I nodded, as much as I didn't like Ginny she was a great leader and taking all this information very well for a 15 year old. I suppose having 6 older brothers really makes you grow up fast.

Neville, Luna and Ginny all ran out ahead. Valentine hung back for a second.

"Did you know?" I asked her.

"Know what?" 

"That my mother was a Death Eater?"

Her face fell, her eyes refusing to meet mine. She knew. She knew this whole time and decided I was better off not knowing. Maybe she was right, if I hadn't found out that she was a piece of shit, no better than the Malfoys then maybe I wouldn't have been so quick to help Draco.

"Fiadh-" She started but I didn't want to hear her pathetic excuses. 

"You're no better than me because you're in Hufflepuff, Val. Your parents knew my mother was a Death Eater and they're friends with the Malfoys. Just because you're loyal or whatever in that little badger house, does not mean you're any less evil than I am. At least I'm strong enough to admit it."

Her face fell and that sick feeling of pleasure rose in me again. Good, I was glad she felt the shame she'd made me feel for being a Slytherin. I turned to make for the Astronomy Tower before she could decide on a reply.

I dashed up to the 7th floor again and rounded to the Astronomy Tower, taking the stairs in twos and threes until I reached the top. Just as I reached the top I saw it. The leering green skull and snake hung above the school. An omen of death. The Death Eaters must've arrived. I shivered to think that they were closing in on the tower now. As scared as I was I was still curious to know what they actually wanted. Surely they didn't think they could take Hogwarts?

Then, in the distance I saw something flying towards the school on...brooms? But Hogwarts was protected by so many enchantments, they couldn't be flying in. If they could it would've saved Draco a lot of time and effort. Fearing that whatever it was was with the Death Eaters I ducked into an empty cupboard, shutting the door and whispering "muffliato" on the door just as the figure landed in the Astronomy Tower. 

It wasn't a Death Eater, however, it was Professor Dumbledore. I was glad I'd thought to put the silencing charm on the cupboard as I let out a small gasp. The night was silent and the echo of the tower carried his voice carried to me. But who was he talking to?

"What does it mean?" a familiar voice asked Dumbledore and a small gap between the door and it's hinges allowed me to glimpse them on the ramparts. Who did the voice belong to and where was it coming from?

"Is it the real Mark? Has someone definitely been- Professor?" The voice continued.

The glow of the Mark showed Dumbledore clutching his chest. Was the Great Albus Dumbledore about to be taken down by... a heart attack? Surely not.

"Go and wake Severus," said Dumbledore so faintly I had to strain to hear him. "Tell him what has happened and bring him to me. Do nothing else, speak to nobody and do not remove your Cloak. I shall wait here."

"But-" the voice interjected.

"You swore to obey me, Harry - go!" 

So, it was Harry... I heard footsteps hurrying to the door that lead to the spiral staircase. The sound passed right by my cupboard but I still couldn't see him. Dumbledore must've placed an invisibility charm on him. 

Just then there was the sound of running footsteps on the other side of the door. I heard Harry step away, Dumbledore had motioned at him to retreat. 

The door burst open and someone erupted through it and shouted: "Expelliarmus!" I had a sick feeling about who it was.