Chapter 7

It was a week later in the common room when Draco and I spoke again. 

It was a Friday evening, everyone had decided to leave homework until Saturday and all the 6th years were hanging out in the common room. The 7th years had studying to do and Blaise had snapped at the younger years to bog off so we had been left in peace.

Blaise, Crabbe, Goyle and Pansy were playing a game of Wizards Chess in pairs. Draco sat in a corner, staring out at the Giant Squid while Ryan and I were pouring over an old yearbook we had found from 1971.

"Look, Draco, there's your dad!" Called Ryan holding up the book. Draco glanced over but didn't say anything. A young blond boy with Draco's sneer stood next to a greasy haired Severus Snape.

"God, Snape hasn't changed one bit, he looks just as disgusted here as he does every time Crabbe enters a room," mocked Ryan.

But it wasn't Snape's picture that caught my attention. At the top of the adjacent page was a group photo. The same two boys were in this picture but accompanied by a familiar looking girl. I grabbed the book off of Ryan and she let out an indignant yell as I read the ink beneath it.

"Slytherin students by the lake (from left to right): Severus Snape, Lucius Malfoy and Brigitte Love."

My heart sank. So my mother had been a Slytherin too and was friends with people like Snape and Mr Malfoy? Why hadn't my mother deemed any of this important information for me?

Ryan grabbed the book back, looking at the picture then looking back up at me.

"Wait, who is that? Is that your Mum? Did you know your mother went to school here?" Ryan asked, shocked.

Draco looked over, a slight smirk on his face.

"Oh, didn't you know Fiadh? Our parents were actually quite good friends." He got up and walked over.

"You like to act all high and mighty, like your family wasn't just as bad as mine" Draco's voice was full of venom.

I was overwhelmed, he had known our parents were friends. How did Draco Malfoy know more about my own mother than me?

"Oh yes, she was an evil little Slytherin just like all of us. You can hardly think you're better than any of us anymore," he spat.

"I don't think I'm better than any of you!" I cried, standing up so I could face him full on.

"No? So after the party, you didn't think you were better than me because my parents were Death Eaters?" he snarled, his eyes were full of contempt.

It was only then that I remembered what Draco had said to me that night after the party, "You're one to talk..."

Before I could reply Draco had grabbed his coat and stalked across the room.

"Draco, wait!" Cried Pansy, beginning to rise from the chess table.

"Fuck off, Pansy" he snapped and disappeared out of the portrait.

For the first time I felt bad for Pansy as she sank down into her seat, tears brimming in her eyes.

Did I really come off like I thought I was better than other people? Sure, I thought Draco was a prick but everyone else was alright. Maybe I had been harsh that night after the party... But Draco had been asking for it and who was he to say I thought I was better than anyone else when he bossed his friends around like he owned them. 

That evening I was left alone in the common room after everyone had gone to bed. I decided I wanted to get my DADA homework out of the way before tomorrow so I could have some time to really perfect some of the transfigurations we'd been working on all week. I was just starting on my second roll of parchment when Draco came back in. I looked around checking for sure no one was around before I called out to him.

"Malfoy!" 

He ignored, continuing to walk towards the boys dorms.

I stood up with an exasperated sigh and tried again. Again, he ignored me. I needed to know what he had meant that night and he wasn't going to get away with ignoring me.

"Oi!" I shouted, catching up to him and grabbing his arm. 

He whipped around, wand drawn, his face furious.

"Don't you touch me ever again," he spat.

I ignored him, "What did you mean that night, after the party? That I'm one to talk?"

He paled, "I have no idea what you're talking about, Fiadh."

"Yes, yes you do! That night after the party when we got in that fight-"

"I wouldn't call it a fight, thats normally how my conversations go with people like you."

"Whatever. That night, you said that I was one to talk when I mentioned your father."

"No I didn't, you must've been more drunk than I thought, trying to make things up so you have an excuse to talk to me now is it?"

I didn't blush because this was true but because of how angry I was that he was pretending I made this all up.

"Aw, you're blushing, sweet . Sorry Rose but I don't go for freaks like you. Maybe you're more suited for someone like Potter or that blood traitor, Weasley."

"I wouldn't go for you if you were the last person in Hogwarts," I hissed.

"We're more alike than you think, Rose, and once you figure that out maybe you'll be less of a bitch."