Chapter 13

I slept for barely 2 hours that night. The nightmare and what I had heard Draco talking about keeping me up, my mind in overdrive. I was so groggy when at breakfast that Ryan had to stop me from pouring orange juice in my cereal.

"Why were you up so late?" she asked, forcing a cup of coffee into my hands.

"Nightmare," I grumbled. Draco was sat two people down from me so I couldn't tell Ryan what I had overheard just yet, "don't want to talk about it."

Ryan shrugged, stuffing a piece of toast into her mouth, "have you decided whether you're going to go home for Christmas or not yet?" 

I hadn't actually but the thought of an awkward Christmas with my aunt and uncle and Valentine who refused to even look at me sounded like pure hell.

"I'm going to stay here I think."

"Oh, great, you can keep Draco company then," she lowered her voice, "I'm worried about him, this is his first Christmas here without Crabbe and Goyle. I don't want him to be alone on Christmas day." 

I rolled my eyes, "I'll take care of your puppy, don't worry, Ryan."

She hit my hand playfully, then shot a look down the table at Draco, "he looks a mess, doesn't he? I don't think he's been sleeping."

Draco did look a mess, his white hair disheveled, stubble covered his usually smooth face and dark bags under his eyes made his grey eyes seem extremely dull. He didn't have his tie on either and his jumper had a stain on the cuff, very un-Draco like. He was usually obsessed with his image. It wasn't a surprise to me that he looked tired but now I was starting to believe Ryan, that Draco was tied up in something far more sinister than just preparing for exams.

The week flew in and soon Ryan and the rest of Slytherin were packing up their trunks for the holidays and dragging them down to the front doors. I went with Ryan to the door and gave her a long hug before she left.

"Now, don't miss me too much and remember, watch out for Draco."

I rolled my eyes, "My dear, I already miss you deeply," I feigned a tearful sob placing a hand on my forehead like the old timey actresses and then shoved her shoulder with mine.

"I hope you're not trying to steal my girlfriend," said a voice from behind me and Hermione grinned at me.

"Oh so you two are official now?" I asked, wiggling my brows at Ryan who blushed for the first time ever.

"I only asked her earlier today," she admitted.

"Well you waited long enough," I teased before giving Hermione a hug and waving the two lovebirds off.

I wandered around the empty castle for a while, not wanting to return to the common room with only Draco around. Soon though it became cold in the corridors and I made my way back to the dungeons to face Draco. 

But Draco wasn't in the common room and he didn't return while I was awake. I next saw him the following evening. We didn't speak then either.

It was Christmas eve when it happened. I was coming back from the library after trying (and failing) to study when I saw Draco heading up the stairs. I decided that this time I was going to get some proper dirt on him. I'd have to be fast enough to get in behind him into the Room of Requirement.

It was easier to follow him this time having done it a few times now and knowing where he was going. When he got to the tapestry I prepared myself to run quickly after him. Soon the door had appeared. My hands were sweating and my heart was beating so hard I was surprised the noise didn't notify him of my presence.