Chapter 1- The Start

In 2011, Devin Morill started working as groom for Bob Baffert. In October of 2014, at just the age of 20, he pulled out his training license, and in February of 2015, he won his first graded stakes.

Devin Morill was born in Madison, Wisconsin in 1994. In 1998, he watched his first horse race, the Kentucky Derby. He was hooked on the sport and never stopped watching. In 2011, he pursued his dream, skipping college, moving to Southern California, and started working for Baffert. He worked very hard and by 2013, at only 19, he became an assistant trainer under Baffert. He started his training career with a win and never looked back. He would win his first graded stake in the San Marcos with Old Greeting at 37/1.

Devin is not known as a nice guy by any means. He's often called arrogant and is considered lucky by many to have found so much success so early in his career. He's been under the light many times for being caught saying things about people behind their backs, but still never loses business as he is very successful. One thing that young fans love and old school, backside veterans hate, is that he's very open about what happens at his barn. On social media, he gives daily reports on all of his best horses, making him popular with young fans. But back to his racing life. He never had any promising two or three year olds, he found success with fillies and older horses. But the class of 2015 would change everything.

Councilman would be the first of 3 horses to come to Devin's barn in 2016 as a two year old. Bred and owned by the great Winstar Farm, he was a son of Super Saver and was out of the amazing mare Stopchargingmaria.

Clubhouse Drive was bred at Spendthrift farm, but was purchased by Kosta Hronis of Hronis Racing at the Keeneland yearling sale for $1.4 million. Out of the mare She's a Tiger and by Flat Out, this horse was filled with promise.

Finally, would be the colt bred at Lane's End, Candy Bird. The colt was a son of Candy Ride and out of the turf mare Discreet Marq. Lane's End would not sell this colt, unlike most of their yearlings, and would send this colt to be their first with Devin.

These three horses would meet on a late spring day in 2016, and the wild ride to the Kentucky Derby would begin for the young and ambitious Devin Morill.

NOTE: This story will be told from the perspective of Devin