Ch. 31

Remus knocked on the door.

He had driven here the next day, after school. He didn't know anything about anyone at school, so he needed a partner in crime.

Patton opened the door. Upon seeing who it was, he moved to close it.

"Wait!" Remus exclaimed, sticking his foot in the door.

"What do you want, Remus?" Patton huffed, brow furrowed. Behind Patton, the sound of yelling could be heard from inside.

"Is everything okay in there?" Remus asked, raising a brow.

"My parents. Don't worry about it." Patton hummed, stepping outside and closing the door behind him. Before he did, the sound of glass shattering could be heard.

Remus jumped, but Patton's only reaction was a wince.

After he closed the door, he turned to Remus expectantly. "What do you want?" He repeated. He blinked, finally getting a good look at Remus. "What happened to your face?"

"I need your help." Remus told him, ignoring his question.

Patton frowned. "...okay," He mumbled carefully. "What is it?"

"I wanna find the person who killed Janus and tried to kill Logan."

"No." Patton said simply. Turning around to go back into the house.

"Patton!" Remus exclaimed. "You won't even hear me out?!"

"I don't need to, I already know this is a bad idea." Patton hissed, narrowing his eyes. "Are you insane?"

"I'm not letting them just walk away!" Remus pressed.

"The police are on it." Patton dismissed, reaching for the doorknob. "Mr. Berry is on it."

"Well they're not working fast enough!" Remus growled. "They've already chosen their next victim!"

"What?" Patton asked incredulously. "How do you know that?"

"That's not the point." Remus huffed. "They're already planning to strike again, and I'm not going to sit back and let them!"

He stepped a bit closer to Patton.

"I went up to Georgia two days ago, I had a hunch as to who was responsible." Remus sighed. "I wasn't right, but I'm almost positive that it was someone at Vine Academy now!"

"I see where this is going." Patton rolled his eyes.

"I still don't know anyone. That's why I need your help." Remus mumbled, placing his hands on Patton's shoulders. Patton flushed, but his frown deepened. "Help me investigate. You're pretty much familiar with a lot of people, right?"

"Yeah, but--"

"Then you could tell me who has a motive!" Remus chirped. "You don't even need to investigate with me, I just need names. Anyone who would have a grudge against Janus."

"That's a lot of people..." Patton murmured, frowning. "I'm sure that the police have already looked into that."

"Well they're not looking hard enough!" Remus snapped, removing his hands.

"Why are you so passionate about this?" Patton asked. "Why can't you let the police handle it?"

"I just--" Remus felt uncomfortable with sharing Roman's break down, so he wasn't sure what to say. "It's...personal."

"Personal? What does personal mean?" Patton rose a brow.

"Don't worry about it." Remus shook his head. "I can't do this without your help, Patton."

"I'm not going to risk my life over this, Remus." Patton crossed his arms anxiously.

"So you're fine with letting Logan's assailant--Janus' murderer--run free?" Remus asked. "You're honestly fine with that?"

"Of course not!" Patton cried. "I just--I think it's smarter if we leave it to the cops."

"The cops aren't taking the investigation seriously!" Remus yelled. "I've been keeping up to date with the investigation, they're thinking of dropping the investigation entirely."

"What?" Patton asked. "Why?"

"They're starting to think the two incidents are unrelated.

Patton pursed his lips, clearly conflicted. "Well, whatever. They're still searching into Logan's, right? That means the criminal will be found either way."

"They have no leads, Patton." Remus pressed. "I'm closer to discovering the truth than they are!"

"Good for you, Remus!" Patton snapped, agitated. "Then go ahead! Investigate all you want! But leave me out of it!"

"I can't do it alone!"

"Then find someone else!"

"Why are you being so stubborn?!" Remus barked. "Don't you want justice?! If you won't do it for me, do it for Janus and Logan!"

"You are not bringing them into this!" Patton yelled, pointing an accusatory finger in his face. "How dare you?! How dare you try to use them?!"

It was silent for a moment, both of them now equally riled up.

"I'm sorry." Remus mumbled finally. "I just want to see them behind bars."

Patton looked away from him. "I do too, Remus. But I won't help you, I'm sorry."

Patton opened the door, and moved to walk inside.

"Roman had an anxiety attack the other day." Remus blurted out.

Patton stopped, turning to look at him.

Remus had just blurted it out without thinking, but he was already starting to regret saying that.

Well, it was too late to go back now.

"...He said that someone was going to kill him. He kept insisting that he was going to die." Remus murmured, refusing to make eye contact with Patton. "And I don't want...I don't want him to feel like that anymore. Like he's in danger."

Suddenly, two curious eyes peeked out from behind the door.

"Who's that, Pat-Pat?"

"Go back inside, Emile." Patton murmured, not taking his eyes off of Remus.

"I'm already inside, silly!" Emile giggled, before waddling away.

Remus glanced up at Patton's expression, and he instantly knew what was going through his mind.

What if Emile was in that situation? What would I do?

"I'm begging you, Pat." Remus whispered, snapping Patton out of his stupor. "Help me, please."

Patton frowned, before turning to head back inside.

Remus, disheartened, turned around to leave.

"I'll..."

Remus head snapped back to Patton so fast, he was sure he had gotten whiplash.

"I'll help you, Ree." Patton told him, looking at the ground. "I'll help you."

And with that, he walked inside of the house.

A/N:

Bruh you don't even understand how hard it was to stretch that out.