chapter 1 Sara

I walked into the liquor store instead of school for the fifth week in a row. 

I made my way to sit in the chair that was next to the boy who always worked the register.

"No school again? He asked.

"No" I replied avoiding eye contact with him.

The boy would always let me sit in the store and wait for the school day to be over.  He was tall and thin with black hair that parted down the middle perfectly. I wondered why he wasn't in school, he looked around my age.

We didn't talk much, he would make small talk here and there but that was it. Even though we didn't speak I quickly learned that he was a good person.

He was always kind to people and would make the neighborhood kids laugh. I could tell that he was the kind of person that would probably do anything for anybody.

I could also tell that he had his own problems. Some days I could see how stressed and tired he was. I couldn't help but wonder what his life was like outside of the store.

One day it was raining and business at the store was slow. It was pretty much just me and him all day. It was silent and I could hear him tapping his fingers on the counter then he let out a sigh

"Hey, uhh.. do you mind if I smoke?" He asked, holding out a cigarette in front of him.

I looked him in the eyes and could tell that he was anxious, it seemed like he really needed it.

"No, go ahead." I replied and He let out a relieved sigh.

"Thanks, I just wanted to make sure you were cool with it".

I watch him light the cigarette then inhale and exhale, He was definitely calmed down by it.

"I didn't think you were a smoker." I said hoping to spark a conversation with him. I usually wouldn't bother talking a boy that I didn't  know but I figured why not since we see eachother almost everyday. His eyes met mine and I could tell he was surprised that I was the one engaging in conversation.

"yeah well It helps take the edge off." he said with a smile. "But it's true what they say, these things are hard to quit. You want some?" he asked reaching his hand out

"No thanks."

I watched him inhale and exhale again. I was trying to find the perfect words to thank him for letting me hang out in the store all day.

"I'm Mikey by the way"

"I'm sara."

"Good to know. Nice to meet you Sara." he replied with a smile, Suddenly the front door swung open.

"Mikey, you better not be smoking in my store" said a stern voice. I look over to see a intimidating looking man in a black suit, with slicked back hair who was probably in his mid 50s.

"shit" mikey panics dropping the cigarette, then quickly picking it up and putting it out, causing me to let out a laugh.

"Sorry boss it won't happen again".

"yeah it better not, you know we got kids coming in and out of here all day." said the man walking towards us.

"I just came in to check on things how's everything going?"

"Everything's good Leo" Mikey replied before Leo stopped to look at me.

I looked into the man's eyes that were so dark they almost seemed black.

"your the girl I always see on my security cameras." he said with a warm smile.

I don't know how to describe it, but in that moment.. time sort of just stopped. I'm not sure why.