Chapter 1

I walk out of the gas station bathroom, having just changed into my school uniform for the first day of school. It's my senior year, the last year I have to hide everything. I would change at my home, but changing in an abandoned alleyway would attract some unwanted attention. The kind man behind the counter gives me a smile as I nod his way, not stopping to talk.

I refuse to let anyone close, I don't want to go through the pain of losing someone again.

Walking to school is a peaceful time for me, the chill in the air comforting me as I make my walk alone. I've always liked the cold more, for obvious reasons.

The chilly weather reminded me of a memory I wish I could forget. When I was a child, I had a beloved dog named Mischief who always tore up our socks, hence the name. He was my best friend.

However, on a snowy winter's day, Mischief died by my hands. I was petting him, enjoying my favorite weather, when he started shivering so severely that I rushed him inside to the fire. I yelled for my parents, not knowing what was going on. He had his fur, and had never had a problem being out in the snow before.

As the fire started to die out, my dad ushered me to get more firewood. I retrieved it and handed it to him, only to see frost covering the entirety of it.

Mischief had passed away when I went to get the log, but not knowing that, I asked in a quiet voice, "Will he be okay?"

My dad had an idea of what I had done, lashing out at me verbally. "You killed him! Look at this wood, you did this! Get out of my house and never come back!" My mom realized what happened, and had the same fury in her eyes.

"Get out!" My mom screamed at me, tears in her eyes.

I wandered the streets for a day before the police picked me up and dropped me off at a children's home. I got close to Mary, the owner of the establishment, and she eventually found out my secret.

She vowed to me that she would always protect me, and she did. She did until her very last breath.

Now I'm on my own, walking to school, living in an alley. My alley. It became my own since Mary died when I was twelve. I hopped onto the bus and rode until I felt like getting off. I forged the documents to get into school, and since then, my life has been as normal as it could be.

I finally break out of my thoughts as I arrive at school, walking to the tree on the side of the building. Strapping my white fingerless gloves on tighter, I ensure they won't fall off. I wear these gloves to not let my palms touch anything. If my palms touched something, it immediately froze. With my fingertips, I had at least a little bit of control over how much something was affected.

That was the only amount of control I had. I tried for years to be able to control my 'gift,' but I hadn't been able to stop the frost from appearing every time I would touch something.

Reaching the tree and greeting the surrounding people, I smile at them as if I was perfectly fine. But I wasn't, and I don't think I ever would be.