Chapter 26

Neve's POV

Taking out the guards was quite easy. Mark snuck up on them, invisible, while we distracted them by just walking into the base.

Now, we are looking for the cells where they keep the people with abilities. Coming up on more guards patrolling the inside, we quickly knock them out.

"Mark, stay invisible and find the control center. That will lead us directly to the cells," Ember commands.

Daniel goes with him, having the ability to erase memories, knowing he will need it. Daniel has already been erasing the memories of the other Hunters we've taken out.

Ember and I continue looking for the cells, but stop in our tracks when we hear a baby cry.

We look at each other, worry filling our faces. What could these monsters be doing with a baby?

We follow the sound, only to find a young girl trying to calm down a hysterical baby. The baby is in her arms, with dark hair and wrapped in a pink blanket.

"Who are you and what are you doing with that baby?" I ask, hoping the baby hasn't been hurt.

"They just finished up with her in the lab, and now I'm... wait. Who are you?" The girl asks, finally focusing on us.

"The lab?" Ember asks, trying to pry for more information.

The girl looks unsure, but answers regardless. "Yes they finished putting the abilities into her, now I'm trying to calm her down. Are you guys new? I'll go ask my dad to explain everything to you."

"We are taking care of this baby now." With that, I grab the baby from her hands gently, while Ember knocks the girl out swiftly.

"Daniel, there is another person three halls over for you to erase the mind of," Ember reports, before walking back to the entrance. I follow her, amazed at the little girl in my arms. She is so adorable with her dark hair and medium toned complexion.

Deciding we need more information on this little girl, I ask Mark, "Could you find information about the baby they were experimenting on?"

"They were experimenting on a baby?" He screams. I hear Daniel in the background shushing him. "Okay, I found it. It reads, 'Test subject 267. Unknown abilities, tried to implant all acquired gifts. Last surviving test subject.' Oh no... How many babies did they kill?"

Ember and I reach the car, knowing we need to protect this baby at all costs. I won't let another innocent being be harmed by these monsters.

Daniel and Mark come back out a while later. Daniel informs, "I erased all their memories about us people with abilities, and made them think they were human traffickers. Let's call the police and blow this popsicle stand."

Mark high fives him, before climbing into the car with us, me in the front seat with the baby. "What are you going to name her?" Mark asks, already seeing my attachment to her.

"Amara."