Chapter 5

Ember's POV

What did she mean 'how are you alive?' Her touching me shouldn't have killed me... should it?

Seeing my confused face, Neve says in a quiet voice, as if she's ashamed, "Everything I touch, dies."

I look at her, shocked once more. That's why she stays away from everyone, why she avoids crowded halls and doesn't talk to people. All the questions I have are answered as more arise. What is her past like? How did she end up here?

Not asking any of them, I look to Neve only to see her take her hands out of mine and put them up to my face. They are shaking violently, as if terrified of what she is about to do.

Her hands cup my face, and I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding. She looks at me with wonder in her eyes, amazed by the new revelation.

She must've been deprived of touch for far too long, I concur, after she tackles me in a hug. "I can't believe this," she whispers in an excited voice.

Pulling away, I hold in the joke that almost comes out of my mouth, not wanting to ruin this moment for her. The smile on her face makes a small one appear on mine, her happiness making me feel some type of way.

Confusion soon appears on her beautiful features. "How did you not die?"

Her questions are answered as a flame appears in my hand, her eyes widening. Guess she didn't expect that.

"I'm not the only one?" She asks with hope lacing her words.

I smile at the sight, before letting her know, "No. You aren't the only one. I have a lot of... friends... that are like you and me. They have gifts just like us." I decide not to tell her I run my own gang, not wanting to scare her off. I feel an odd connection to her, and I'm not ready to let go of her quite yet.

She looks around at the frost and ice she has created, before looking at me with fear in her eyes. "What am I going to do? They'll find me."

With a flick of my hand, the ice starts to melt as I direct fire at it. She takes a deep breath, seeming very relieved that I helped her.

The rain has slowed down, but even then it's hard for water to put out my flames. If I control it enough, it can't put them out.

Neve still seems to be in shock, her never looking away from the flames that melt her ice quickly. Once the ice is melted, I just stand there, thinking about what to do. I can't leave her, in the rain, living in a cardboard box. She has tears streaming down her face, looking slightly happy at the fact she can touch someone. I'm about to ruin that happy face, and I felt slightly horrible for it.

Knowing what I have to do, I turn to her with a determined look. "You are coming with me."