Chapter 16

Neve's POV

Multiple weeks have passed by, and Ember has been helping me train constantly. With plenty of food in my system and my stamina up, I've been practicing control. It's been a struggle, but I think I'm finally going to make my breakthrough today.

"You need to focus more, something has you distracted," Ember says, giving me a questioning look. I avert my eyes, knowing she is my distraction.

Her toned muscles are on display, her arms and core showing clearly in her sports bra. She looks so tempting, I just want to drop everything and tell her how I feel. Over the last few weeks, we have grown closer, bordering on friends. We are civil around each other, and her gentle side makes me want her all the more.

Breaking out of my thoughts, I focus on the task at hand. I'm trying to purposely and successfully use my powers for the first time.

Embers speaks again in a serious voice, "Focus on the thrum of your power, the chill in your bones. Try to direct the scattered power into one stream of ice. Right now, your gift is untamed, having free reign of your body, it controls you. You need to control it."

Nodding, I feel the energy of my power in my chest. I imagine the silver stream moving through my body and to my arms. My skin tingles at the presence of such energy, not used to me directing it. The silver stream pools in my hand, and with my eyes closed, I feel the chill it brings, knowing I'm doing it.

Opening my eyes, I aim for the soda can that is across the room, and feel the power shoot out of my hands, imagining the full path it takes to reach its destination.

My eyes close, feeling slightly drained at the energy I exerted. The power is a part of me, and focusing so hard on that energy drains my own.

Taking a deep breath, I take in the sight before me. The can is surrounded by ice, as are the walls around it. I face Ember, only to see her smiling face, the skin underneath her eyes crinkling in happiness.

Her smile is contagious, making my own appear. How can you not smile when a goddess before you is so happy?

Ember rushes to pick me up in her arms, spinning around while holding me. I giggle at her excited nature, finally feeling the joy of control. I don't have to be scared of losing control ever again.

She pulls back from the hug once she sets me on the ground, my feet losing balance slightly from the dizziness. Holding me up, her hands are at my waist, stabilizing me.

We are both still smiling as we look at each other's lips, our gazes shooting back up to the other's eyes, trying to hide what we just did. Noticing she may feel the same way, I lock my hands around her neck, playing with the hair at the nape. This action brings us closer than we've ever been before, our breaths mixing.

One more look at her lips, and I make my decision. I lean up, as she is much taller than me, and crash our lips together. The feeling of her lips on mine is like no other, this being an entirely new experience for me.

She moves her lips against mine expertly, sparks erupting from every movement. They radiate throughout my entire body, lighting me with a newfound fire.

I kiss her with more vigor, needing to feel more of her. Tongues meet, exploring unclaimed territory.

Needing to breathe, I pull away, completely and utterly breathless. Looking into her eyes, I see nothing but awe, me feeling the exact same way. I had no idea kissing someone felt so magical.

She must've felt the sparks too, igniting a new bond between us.

Something within us was just activated, and I'm ready to explore it more.