Chapter 12

Neve's POV

The next day of school is an odd one.

Everyone stares at me and Ember as we climb off her motorcycle. Since I'm living with her, I need a ride to school. I know her better than Mark and Ally, so I chose to ride on her bike. I also may or may not be catching feelings for her.

People continue to avoid me, even more so now that I hang out with a more intimidating crowd.

Ember promised me that I would get to practice controlling my power when we got back home, so I stared at the clock all day, counting down the seconds until we can go.

Home. I haven't had a place to call home in far too long, my last home being a cardboard box. It's a new experience having a soft bed to go back to.

I skip lunch, like usual, never having enough money to eat in the cafeteria. I usually buy an apple to sustain me after school. Especially now, when I get dinner every night, there is no need for lunch. I'm simply not hungry.

The day ends after many hours of watching the clock, and I meet Ember back at her motorcycle.

"Ready to practice control?" Ember asks as I arrive, her putting the helmet on my head for me.

"You know it," I say excitedly hopping onto the bike naturally, much more comfortable around it now that I've ridden on it twice.

I finally get to enjoy the thrill and pure adrenaline rushing through my veins. The feeling of being so close to death if the driver were to make one mistake, is slightly exhilarating, albeit a little scary.

Taking my gloves off as we walk into the house, Ember leads me to the basement. Stepping down the stairs, I look up to see a training room of sorts. There are punching bags and exercise equipment, including weights and a bar for squats.

I look at the room, impressed that Ember has such a thing in her house. "Are you ready to train?" She asks, a serious look on her face. She seems to be focused on helping me, and I really appreciate it.

I nod, saying, "Thank you for helping me train and learn to control my gift."

"Well if we want any chance of being able to defeat the Hunters, we will need your help."

Well doesn't that make me feel great, note the sarcasm.

"Let's get started. You need mental strength as well as physical strength to control your ice. The use of such a power will drain you quickly, meaning you need to have stamina. Start by doing five hundred jump ropes," Ember commands, handing me the jump rope.

I want to bite back, but I listen to her, knowing she can help me. I can't live life the same way anymore. I can't avoid everyone's touch or live in fear of losing control. I have to step up.

After finishing the jumps, I take deep breaths to calm my racing heart. My breath comes out in quick pants, me struggling to breathe. I feel lightheaded, the world spinning slightly.

"Great work. Now we will take a break for water then get back to it." Ember hands me a room temperature water bottle, which quickly becomes cold just by my touch. I gulp the water down greedily, trying to focus on reality again. It's hard to focus when the world is turning in circles.

"I'm dizzy," is all I can say, my limbs slowly becoming numb as I crumple to the floor.

Ember puts her hands on the sides of my face, trying to get me to look at her. "Neve, can you hear me? Focus on my voice."

I try to focus on the sweet tune of her voice but it quickly runs out of my reach, my eyes closing as I succumb to the darkness that was threatening my vision.