Chapter 14

Ember's POV

Maybe forcing Neve to sit on my lap was a little too direct, but I couldn't help it. She was just so adorable, looking at the T.V. in amazement. She probably hasn't seen a T.V. in far too long, meaning this is a new model for her.

I sat down in my usual spot, and 'convinced' Neve to sit with me. I can be very convincing.

Now, she is asleep in my lap, her head under my chin. With her breaths even and content sighs being let out every once and awhile, I can tell she is comfortable. I let her sleep, knowing she's had a hard day. I also might be enjoying the slight chill she provides when she is near me. I haven't felt anything but heat since my powers developed when I was nine.

It is a nice chill, a soothing one. The feeling of her body laying against mine making me feel oddly happy, feeling the need to protect her. There is also a possessive side to me, not wanting anyone to be able to touch her like I can. But, I know she needs to learn how to control her powers, but I just want to be the only person she touches.

The movie that Mark picked was boring, so boring I don't even know what it is. Ignoring it to focus on the small girl laying on me, I admire her white blonde hair and long eyelashes. Her button nose looks so cute, so boopable. Plump pink lips are my last destination, staring at them longer than anything else. So kissable.

What am I thinking? I've known her for two days, I can't be catching feelings this fast.

Pushing my thoughts away, I notice the credits are rolling, meaning the movie is finally over.

"That was awesome!" Mark says excitedly, supposedly enjoying the movie.

"Sure it was." Ally rolls her eyes at Mark, clearly not having liked it. 

"I agree with Ally. Total borefest." Standing up with Neve in my arms, I say, "I'm taking her up to her room. Goodnight guys."

Mark looks at me with a knowing smirk, while Ally just nods. Ignoring Mark, I smile at Ally before walking up the stairs. I hear Mark grumble something unintelligibly, not happy with me ignoring him.

Turning to the right once I reach the top of the steps, I arrive at her door. Managing to open the door with my foot, I try to set Neve down on the bed.

She clings to me like a koala, not wanting to let go. Somehow her arms ended up around my neck, making it impossible to pry her off of me.

I was about to give up and wake her, but then I hear her mumble tiredly, "Please don't leave me. Not like everyone else."

My heart breaks for this tiny girl, knowing her life hasn't been the one she deserves. She deserves pure happiness and joy, not pain and torment.

"I won't leave you," I reassure, climbing into the bed with her in my arms. As I lay back, she makes herself comfortable again, snuggling up into my warmth.

Maybe catching feelings for this girl wouldn't be so bad.