Chapter 33

Abby

5 months later

The past few months have been tough. I have good days and bad days. On my bad days I could barley get out of bed. I did my best to stay strong for Chase, but there was only so much I could hide. Ashley and her parents would visit us as often as they could. They would call nonstop asking how I was doing.

Unfortunately we still haven't found a donor. It's been hard to keep up with school. Fortunately we just started summer vacation. We decided it would be best to stay in LA, since this is where I was getting my treatment.

The Mathews rented a summer beach house so we could all be together.

I was outside walking on the beach. I just needed time for myself. Don't get me wrong. I was so grateful with everyone, but they kept hovering over me. I was able to get away and come walk on the beach.

I walked along the shore, with my sandals in my hand, feeling the water run thru my feet.

I'm not going to lie. I was scared. I know I wasn't getting any better. Every time I would visit the doctor he would tell me my current situation and it wasn't good. My blood count was low. I've received so many transfusions. The medication was making me weaker by lowering my immune system. I had to be extremely careful because catching a simple cold was dangerous.

I felt bad for the Mathews. They didn't deserve this. I didn't know what to do.

I had a doctors appointment the next day. I didn't tell anyone about it. I wanted to speak to my doctor without Chase or anyone else there.

I was too week to drive so I ordered an Uber. I left early in the morning so no one would stop me.

I walked into the doctor office and went to the receptionist. I got nervous while waiting for the doctor in the examination room.

He came in with the new blood results and he didn't look happy. "Miss Avery, I'm going to be honest with you. It looks like the medication and the transfusions stopped working. You need a bone marrow transplant immediately or else you don't have much time left."

I felt my eyes start to water. I was going to die. If we didn't find a donor, I was going to die. "How much time do I have left doctor?" I asked him.

"It's honestly hard to say. It could be six months, a year or two." He sighed.

Wow. I could be dead within six months. Or less.

I needed to think about what I wanted to do. I definitely wasn't going to tell anyone.

I got home and as soon as I did Chase was at the front door. "Abby where were you?" He asked in an angry tone.

I sighed. His facial expressions softened when he looked into my eyes. "I had a doctors appointment, and before you say anything I'll tell you how it went. He said the same thing he said last time and the time before that Chase. So please don't get mad at me" I told me.

He didn't say anything. He came up to me and hugged me. I hugged him back and he kissed the top of my head.

Golly I really did love this man. I didn't want to leave him. I didn't want to leave Ashley or the Mathews or Caleb. They were my family and I was scared I was going to leave them soon.