Chapter 48

Abby

I heard beeping sounds around me and people talking. I know these sounds. I was in the hospital.

I opened my eyes and I see Chase sitting in front of me. His eyes are bloodshot red. "Abigail." He said and he ran to my side.

"Where's Alex? Is he ok?" I panicked. The horrible memories of what happened came to me.

"He's fine. My parents are with him at our house" he said. Our house. That sounded nice.

"What happened Chase?"

"Alex is a smart boy. Of course he is, you raised him. He went next door and told the neighbors what happened. I was already on my way home. They immediately called me and I called the cops. Alex explained what was happening. We ran inside side but it was too late. She had already shot you. I was so scared. I thought I lost you. You flatlined on the way to the hospital. It was the worst 3 minutes of my life. Thankfully you came back. We got to the hospital and you went into surgery. I don't know what I would do without you Abigail. You and Alex are my everything." He said. He was crying. I don't think I've ever seen Chase cry.

I put my hand over his "I'm ok Chase. I'm right here." I said.

"I know you are and I can't let you get away" what he said surprised me. He got down on one knee and pulled out a box. "I know this isn't the most romantic thing in the world, and I had everything planned out for tomorrow night, but I almost lost you Abigail. I've loved you since the moment I saw you. You were just a little girl at the time and I was a little boy, but ever since that moment I knew that we would be together forever and that my love for you would be infinite. I know I'm far from perfect but I love you Abigail and I promise to be by your side as well as by Alex's side for the rest of my life. So Abigail Avery. Will you marry me and make me the happiest man on this earth." He said.

I had tears running down my eyes. "Oh my god Chase, of course I'll marry you" I said. He smiled at me and put the ring on my finger then he stood up and kissed me.

The doctor came and checked up on me. Fortunately the bullet didn't hit any organs but I did loose a lot of blood which sent me int cardiac arrest.

My hospital stay extended for an entire week, then I was finally discharged.

Chase took me home. Alex ran up to me and hugged me. I flinched a little at the pain, but didn't say anything "mommy you're finally home. Are you ok. I was scared something bad happened to you." He said.

Alex wasn't allowed in the hospital, poor little guy. He looked so scared. "I'm ok honey. You know your mommy is strong." I said.

Kathy and Mr. Mathews came up to me. They hugged me and said they were glad I was ok. Ashley couldn't make it down from San Francisco but she would call me everyday.

A month went by. Chase was by my side 24/7. He was like my own personal nurse. We didn't tell anyone about our engagement yet. We wanted to wait a little bit. We also wanted to see how Alex would react.

"Alex what do you think about your mom and I getting married." Chase asked Alex one morning at breakfast.

"Chase!" I slapped him on the shoulder. I wanted a slow approach to this.

"I would love it. We can be a real family!" He said. He got out of his seat and started jumping up and down.

Well that was easier than I thought. I thought he wouldn't take it well.

We told the rest of the family and everyone was excited.

Ashley was the happiest of them all. She wanted to start with the wedding planning but most of all she wanted to design my dress.

I revived a letter in the mail. It was from the children's hospital here in LA.

I read the letter. I got into the residency program. I couldn't believe it. I was so happy. Everything was coming into place.

"What's got you so happy? Is it our wedding?" Chase asked.

"Of course, but there is something else." I said smiling.

"What is it?"

"A while back I applied to a residency program here in La at a children's hospital and I got in" I said smiling at him.

"Congratulations!" He said, he came up to me, picked me up and kissed me. I kissed him back. Then we headed to the bedroom to celebrate.