Chapter 40

Abby

I headed to the hospital the next day. I met up with my 3 other colleagues and Dr. Rivera. We were going to head to Caleb's room and discharge him. We walked in and unfortunately Chase was in the room.

"I hope your stay here was pleasant" Dr. Rivera told Caleb.

"It was thanks to Abby, otherwise it would of really sucked." He said.

"Well Miss. Avery is one of our best. She's going to do a residency soon. I'm sure she'll get in" Dr. Rivera said. Wow that was The nicest thing he ever said to me. "Speaking of which, would you ever consider coming to our banquet?"

"Yeah I'll think about it" Caleb told him.

I stayed behind "we'll it was good seeing you Caleb." I said hugging him. "When are you heading home?"

"I'm still here for another week, our case got extended. You can't get rid of me that easily." Caleb said.

"Oh I thought you guys had to leave right away." I told him. "Well I have to get back to work see you around." I said walking out.

"Wait" Caleb said.

"We should have dinner" he said.

"Yeah we should." Chase cut in.

"Um I'm really sorry I can't. My life revolves around the hospital and I don't have much time to myself. Maybe next time" I said and ran out.

I gave Chase my number. He could call me and we could do something together.

Once I left his room I went on with my day. Today was Friday and thankfully I got out early today and I didn't have a shift this weekend so I was going to spend it with Alex.

I got home and promised Alex we would go out to dinner today.

Alex loved this Italian restaurant and we would go once a month. Irene was feeling really tired and she didn't want to join us today.

We got to the restaurant and sat at our usual booth. As we were sitting down I heard some say "Abby bear." Oh no. I turned around and saw Chase and Caleb.

"What are you guys doing here?" I asked them nervous.

"We got off work early so we decided to come to dinner." Caleb said. "I thought you said you couldn't" Damit it shut up Caleb.

"Well I had a prior engagement." I said.

"Are you babysitting?" Caleb asked. Damn it! Stop asking question Caleb.

"You're Alex right?" Chase asked Alex.

He nodded "and your Chase." He said.

"That's right little man. High five" Chase said. Alex gave him a high five. "Yeah why don't we have dinner together?" Chase asked.

"Um no I don't think that's a good idea. It's just the two of us" I said trying to think of a better excuse.

"I like them they should sit with us." Alex smiled at me.

"I'm sure they would like their own booth" I said desperately.

"No please let's have dinner together." Chase said. I felt defeated. This was not going to end well.

We ordered our food. The waitress couldn't take her eyes of Chase or Caleb.

"So what grade are you in little man?" Caleb asked Alex.

"I'm in second grade." He said smilin at at him.

"Nice! I wish I could go back to second grade. When did you loose your tooth"

"I don't remember it was a long time ago" Alex told him. "What do you guys do?" He asked them.

"We're lawyers." Caleb said. Just then our food arrived and we started eating.

"Why lawyers?" He asked him.

"Well because we wanted to help people." Chase said.

"If you wanted to help people, why didn't you become a doctor like my mommy" Alex said.

They both chocked on their food. "Mommy" they both said and then looked at me. Shit. I knew this was bound to happen.

"Yup my mommy is the best doctor. Aren't you mommy?" Alex asked me.

"Don't exaggerate honey." I said. Damn the air in the room was tense. No one said a word.

"Mommy can i have some ice cream?" Alex asked.

"No honey. In fact we should really head home it's getting late." I said getting out of the booth.

"Come on Alex." I said pulling him to the counter so I could pay.

"Wait up." I heard Caleb. Damn it. Can't he take a hint.

"Yes wait Abigail." Chase said.

"Mommy why does he call you Abigail. I thought you didn't like being called Abigail." Alex said.

"We'll talk about it at home honey ok." I gave him a lollipop from the counter. I usually don't like him to eat too many sweets, but I needed to get out of here.

"How much is the total?" I asked the waitress.

"We'll pay for it" Caleb said. I would usually say no, but I wanted to get out of here.

"Uh, thanks. I really have to get home. Bye" I said walking away.

"Abigail wait." Chase said walking after me. "We need to talk." He said.

"I need to get home Chase. Maybe some other time." I said walking away again.

He caught up with me. "Fine let's talk tomorrow."

"I can't Chase." I said trying to think of an excuse.

"We can do it tomorrow or we can do it right now in front of the kid." He said pointing at Alex. Damn it he knew. Of course he knew. Alex looked exactly like him. He was the exact replica of Chase.

Just the Caleb walked out. "Fine tomorrow. I'll meet you in the diner I saw you a few days ago at 12 pm." I said. "Now I need to leave."

"No we are giving you a ride." Chase said.

I was about to say no but Caleb cut in "Yeah Abby bear, it's late and you shouldn't be out alone." He said.

"I've been doing this a long time now. I'll be fine" unfortunately Alex has something to say about this.

"Mommy can we please get a ride. I'm really tired."

I sighed. "Ok baby." I told him. They walked us to their car and I gave them our address.

Alex fell asleep on the way there. We finally arrived. "Do you need any help with the kid?" Caleb asked.

"Nope he's light as a feather we'll be fine." I carried him out of the car.

"Be there at 12 pm." Chase said before driving off.