1

"It's purely political". " He said it's purely political" she muttered.
She choked back a sob as she felt the traitor put his hands around her, it surprised her greatly that even now at this very moment with the confirmation of his betrayal still fresh his arms still brought her comfort.
"I'm sorry but I couldn't turn down the offer", he said bringing her back to the present. She shrugs him off, rises and begins pacing the length of the large bedroom. Mrs Hassan looked like a vision in her electric blue evening gown that flowed down her figure like a dream and pooled at her feet. On closer inspection Mr Hassan could notice her once flawless make-up was no longer so flawless as tears streamed down her pretty face, it broke his heart to see her this way.
If only she gave him more support in his political career if only she could be more social. They all didn't know the woman he knew her as, to the rest of them she was this snobby half-caste woman. If success was to be achieved in Nigerian politics it was very important to have an influential and socially fluent partner. "What are you going to tell the boys", she said breaking through his musing.
"Oh Jason, Benjamin your father is getting married to a Muslim woman for political reasons", she continued shaking her head successful freeing her thin knotless braids from the intricate style it was held in earlier that evening.
"Ihotu,( love)", he said but she wasn't having it. "How could you do this to me, to us", she said as she ran a shaky hand through her waist-length braids. Just imagining how she found out about his idiotic plan made her blood boil."Can you imagine I heard strangers gossiping about my own life and I took it as a baseless rumour formed by some twisted minds, I trusted you", she said shaking her head. She recalled the exact moment it dawned on her that it was not just gossip. When she came back from the dinner party earlier she sat on her bed and reached down to take her sandals off but her husband beat her to it. She smiled down at him while he took off her shoes and retold the piece of gossip she overheard from those silly women. As she relayed the news of his impending marriage laughter shone in her eyes, the guilt in his made her breath halt. Now here she was her life in pieces and he sat there the cause of her problems, mouth open, gaping like a fish.
"You know what Timothy Hassan I'm suddenly too tired to deal with this, to deal with you", she said making frantic hand gestures towards him and walking towards the bathroom, leaving Mr Hassan sitting on the bed, cap in hand and head bowed." He had messed up, he should have told her earlier but he just could never find the words or the right time," he thought to himself. At that moment relief flooded through his whole system, finally, it was all out in the open. He took off his wristwatch and clothes and crawled into bed leaving the rest of his problems for the next day. He slept off with determination in his heart to not let anything stand in the way of his political aspirations, not even his family.
Mrs Hassan emerged from the bathroom bathed and dressed for the bed to see her husband of over two decades asleep. She looked at him with mixed emotions, anger at his political aspirations most prevalent. If she could just kill it, why could he not just be content with being a senior partner in one of the most prestigious law firms in Abuja? She sighed, walked to the other end of their king-sized bed, settled in and fell into a restless slumber.

When Love Is War.जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें