5

Mrs Hassan( Sarayu's POV)

It has been two weeks since our meeting with the publicist and Zainab and I have been to her friend's wedding together and also a 2k walk/  race creating awareness against rape and gender based violence. I dragged Layla along for the walk and we crossed the finish line together, looking like friends. The whole family and Zainab had Sunday lunch together twice, we also went cake tasting. It was awkward but we all tried our best to flow , or more like make it seem we flowed. Last night Tim and I had date night and it was so hard pretending that I was actually enjoying his company. The boys where taking the whole thing better than I thought they would but I was not, on the outside I had all my emotions on lockdown but on the inside I was going crazy. I just knew I was going to blow up very soon and that soon might just be in a few minutes. Zainab and I had this stupid brunch event to attend, she said be ready by nine and I was but now it's almost ten and I am still waiting for her. Like who plans a brunch for a Tuesday, shouldn't they be at work. I can't believe I took time off work for this.
"Madame miss Zainab says you should meet her in the car", my driver says.
I rise from the couch, pick up my bag and make it to the car. We always take my car for our little outings while she parks hers in my house.
"Good morning Sarayu" Zainab greets as I settle into the back seat of my car.
"Zainab you are late, and how many times have I told you not to address me by my first name unless we are in the midst of company. To you i am Mrs Sarayu Hassan",I answered while looking down at my phone, completely ignoring her greetings.
"Well Mrs Sarayu Hassan in less than two weeks I will be Dr. Mrs Zainab Hassan,  I am done walking on eggshells around you", she ranted.
At that point I was done with this outing and her so I tuned her out and asked my driver to turn the car around and head back home.
The rest of the car ride I ignored Zainab's yapping about how this brunch was important, the invitation came from the First Lady, she already sent an RSVP that we would be there we needed to network and so on.
When the car drove to my doorstep, I got down and this woman followed. I kept walking trying to get into my home when she yanked me by the arm forcing me to face her short self.
"Let me go", I yelled at her suddenly feel very frustrated and in dire need of my bed.
"Stop being a child, we need to go for this event"
"I don't need to go anywhere with you and for the last time I am warning you to let go of my arm".
"Who do you think you are?" She asks at the exact same time I push her freeing myself from her grip and causing her to stumble.
"You have been nothing but rude to me since we met and for you to push me, this just tops it all", she bitterly spits out.
"No my darling I have done nothing but ignore your unwanted presence in my life since we met", I answer.
"You carry yourself like you're above the rest of us and all because your mother was an exotic whore".
I didn't even realize I had slapped her until I heard the sound of my hand hitting her cheek.
"Zainab do not cross me. Do you know who I am? I am Sarayu, my name means common wind and like the wind people see me as common but I am a force of nature. Cross me little girl and I will destroy you", I said looking at her pathetic form. She held her palm to her cheek,her eyes filled with unshed tears, anger and shock written all over her face. The sight of her made me smile as I walked into my house and straight to my bed to have a good cry and take a nap.
                   ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️
I slept through the morning and some part of the afternoon, I would have slept for longer if Layla didn't wake me up. We had an appointment with Sade a mutual friend we shared, Sade was also fashion designer and stylist that would be planning our looks for the wedding. I was supposed to meet Layla at her house so we would go to Sade's place together, so when I was a no show at her place she came to my house, marched into my bedroom and woke me for my slumber. Layla and i have been  friends for long enough that we hardly had any boundaries, she was more like a sister to me. I told Layla we should postpone the meeting with Sade but she wasn't having it because the wedding was in less than two weeks. I wasn't in the frame of mind to deal with Sade right now, she was so extra. She is a tall, chubby woman with a fair complexion suspected to have been achieved with chemical assistance and oh boy can she talk. Dramatic should be her middle name because she is always exaggerating facts.
We arrived at the two storey building with Sade's Place boldly written at the top at 1:15 pm. Our meeting with Sade was supposed to be by 12:45pm but because of the delay on my part we were late. Once we walked into the building a young woman introduced herself as Sade's P.A and ushered us into the elevator to take us to Sade's office where she awaited our arrival.
"Ore mi( my friend), Layla welcome", Sade greeted in her extremely loud voice as we walked into her office.
"Sade my friend how you dey( how are you)", Layla answered her.
" I dey(I am fine). Come let me take your measurements" Sade says as she untangles her measuring tape from around her neck.
Sade begins to take Layla's measurements, calling the figures out to her assistant who is standing nearby pen and notepad in hand. I watch in amusement ignores my presence while also sneaking glances at me to gauge my reaction.
"Sade why you dey vex with me( Sade why are you angry at me)", I say while trying hard not to laugh.
"I talk sey I dey vex. London girl ahbeg no dey speak pidgin, e dey sound some how with this your accent", she says with a chuckle.
(Did I say I was angry . London girl please don't speak pidgin English, It sounds weird with your accent).
"Okay Madam, I've heard you"
"Layla please judge this matter for me. My friends husband wants to marry and she doesn't tell me. Instead I hear it from someone else's mouth and on top of that I see my friend going out with the husband snatcher. Ahbeg e no reach to vex?" Sade says.( Isn't that enough reason to be angry?)
"Sade e reach but no vex. Let's just support our friend".( Sade It's enough but don't be angry)
" Sarayu why are you dulling me, you should have called me. I would have arranged boys for that woman. When they finish with her, trust me she will not look twice at another woman's husband".
"Please oh, my hand is not inside that one", I say while laughing.
"Anyway I already designed your dress, it's not your usual flowing gowns but body hugging".
"Am not sure about that one oh, I want it to be descent", I say feeling uncertain about the style.
" It will be decent, see it's black lace I will use to sow this long sleeve, very long gown with a train sef but I will use this gold material as the lining", she explained.
"I like the idea, let the gold material give room for a little bit of skin oh", Layla said looking very excited.
"I'm not sure about this, I was thinking I'd go for a more traditional look since it's a wedding", I say.
Sade and Layla both burst into laughter after I said that.
"Is it your son's wedding", Layla jokingly says.
" Help me ask her", Sade adds. "I want all that your long hair packed in a high pony tail. Your edges will be well laid and your curls defined. The look we are going for is sexy mama. I have some accessories laid out for you in the other room, I just hope we are walking with a big budget".
"There is hardly any budget, I brought Timothy's card", I say.
At the mention of Timothy's card Sade begins to rejoice, dancing from one end of the room to another.
Layla and i look at each other at the exact same moment and burst into laughter. I am suddenly happy I left the house today.