14. Daddy issues

"Father..." I say with a bow.

"Where's your brother?" He asks, barely looking at me.
He gets like this when the anniversary of my mother's death is meat. Apparently, I've grown to look a lot like her.

"He's out... grocery shopping."

My father grunts. I suppose that's an 'okay'.
He takes his jacket off and walks to the cloakroom to hang it up.
Shit

"W-Wait!" I exclaim.
He looks at me with a brooding expression.

With an awkward smile, I take the jacket from him.
"I-I'll hang this f-for you." I stammer and wait until nods and he walks away.
Quickly, I yank the door open and fling the jacket towards the very scared Jimin, Taehyung and Hoseok before shutting the door again.

I breathe out a sigh of relief and follow my father to the living room.
He sits on the sofa and puts his feet up.

"So what..." my voice trails off when my eyes catch sight of Jungkook and Namjoons feet sticking out from the bottom of the curtains near the archway we came in from.
Are you kidding me?! That's where they decided to hide?!

Where's Yoongi? I look around the room but I still don't see him... wait...
Oh. My. God.

Someone tell me I did not just see fingers poking out from underneath the sofa where my dad is literally sitting.
Who does he think he is? A cockroach? That family from parasite???
Hiding under the sofa of all places.

I turn back to my father who's staring at me with a deadpan expression, waiting for me to finish my question.

"Um... so what are you doing here so early?"

My father kisses his teeth and puts down the TV remote.
"It's not like I wanted to be home early either."

Please... please don't start venting... not in front of them.
Please.

"Why can't the owner of the house come early?"

"That's not what I meant F-father."

"That word again. Father." He mocks.
"If it wasn't for the promise I made your mother to look after you both, I would have given you away already!" He bellows.

I wince like I've been wounded.
"I'm sorry."

"This house is so suffocating." He mumbles.
Without another word, he gets up and walks to the front room again.

The cloakroom!

Running, I beat him to the cloak room door and stand in front of it.
"I'll grab your jacket for you." I smile, opening the door a crack and sticking my hand in.

After a few moments, they place the Jacket in my hand and I shut the door again.
"Here."

My father grabs the jacket harshly out of my hand, clicking his tongue before stalking to the door.
Once the door slams shut, I breathe out a shaky sigh and knock on the cloak room door.

"You guys can come out now. He's gone." I mumble sadly and walk to the living room.

Namjoon and Jungkook come out from behind the curtain and Yoongi slides out from under the sofa.