18. Cancelled

I nervously bite my nails, staring up at the daunting stage in front of me. I've never been the type of girl to confidently show myself off in front of a crowd of people. I wish I was.

Namjoon senses my anxiousness and gently places a hand on my shoulder, trying to calm me down and pull me out of my self-consciousness.

"Don't worry, it's just rehearsals." He smiles. "It'll get you ready for the actual thing tomorrow."
Easier said than done, I can't help but worry over every little thing right now.

I nod and bite at my lip.

The speaker cackles and hisses before a booming voice is heard.
"Alright, next up is Min Yoongi, please make your way to the stage." The announcer says as the other contestants stand in front of the stage, waiting patiently.

The previous contestant walks down the steps at the side of the stage before making his way to the exit of the hall. Once Yoongi is done he'll leave too, which makes me relieved. I'm not ready for him to hear our song just yet.

He sits onto the stool infront of the black shiny piano and places his fingers on the keys.
After a deep breath he presses down, creating a symphony of beautifully constructed notes.
The melody of the song engulfs me, wraps me up in its warm embrace.

Yoongi's face nears the standing mic.
"Don't think of anything... Don't say anything, not even a word, just give me a smile."
His voice is quiet yet carries weight, silencing the entire hall.
He sings a few more lines before casting his gaze out into the audience and letting himself play the keys through memory.

"You're just like a butterfly." He sings, eyes searching through the crowd, determined.
"From afar I steal glances, if we touch hands will I lose you?"
His gaze find my eyes and my heart skips a beat. Yoongi is looking straight at me. Is this real?

"You shine in this pitch darkness, that is the butterfly effect."
His words are so soulful, it sets me in a trance that I don't want to wake from. If it wasn't for the faint murmurs of the audience, I wouldn't have noticed anyone else in the room. It's like I have tunnel vision for Yoongi and Yoongi only.

"It's like a wind that gently strokes me
It's like a dust that gently drifts along
You're there but for some reason, I can't reach you. You, who's like a dream, is a butterfly, high to me." He sings, staring into my eyes.

He then looks away and continues singing. "Untrue... untrue. You... you..."
Did I imagine that? Did he actually look at me when singing??

The songs ends beautifully and the crowd erupts into cheers and applause. He really knows how to move an audience. With a content smile, I watch him get up.

"Jackson Wang, you're up next..." the announcer broadcasts across the speakers. "Hey I see you! Leave the light sticks behind!"

Yoongi steps down from the stage and starts walking towards me. Slow and graceful. My heart hammers loudly as I see him glide towards me. I want to breathe, but I'm too entranced to even move.

Just then, Ara runs from behind me and wraps her arms around Yoongis waist.
"You sang to me right? I'm so moved." She coos, nuzzling into his chest.

Yoongi musters up a smile and pats her on the back.
"Mmhm." He hums.
Oh... he wasn't looking at me. He must've been looking at Ara...
of course.

They leave together, happy, like two pieces of a puzzle that fit perfectly together.
Why do I feel bitter about that?
Don't get me wrong, I'm happy for them.

I am.

"Hey, you alright?" Namjoon interjects, snapping me out of my train of thought.

"Mmhm. I'm great." I lie, not meeting his eyes.
"Oh and by the way, Hoseok asked me to remind you to preorder that album for him too."

Namjoon furrows his eyebrows.
"What album?"

"'BE'. Preordering ends on the 20th of November, I can tell it's going to be a hit." I remind him, smiling at the thought of my idols. I really do love them.

Joons eyes light up and he eagerly nods his head.
"Oh yeah! It's self produced by the group as well, I can't wait. I'll order one for you too, gotta get to seven million preorders." He laughs.

I nod with a grin, that would be an amazing achievement.

Namjoon waits with me until it's my go. By the time I get on stage, the room is practically empty with only a few contestants waiting for their go.

He wishes me good luck as I sit on the stool and get ready to play.
...But I only manage to press one key before the fire alarm goes off.

"Alright, everyone calm down! Please leave through the fire exits in a calm and mannerly way!" The music teacher bellows to the hall.

I quickly jump down the stage and rush over to Namjoon.
"Rubbish timing for a fire drill." I roll my eyes.

Namjoon shakes his head.
"This isn't a fire drill, if it was I'd know. The teachers tell class presidents beforehand."

I furrow my eyebrows and follow him out through the fire exit doors and onto the large school field.

"There's our class, let's line up." He mumbles, pointing to a row of people.
Nodding, I walk beside him to the line.

After a few minutes of everyone finding their classes and lining up, the principle strides out infront of us.

"As many of you know, this drill was unplanned." He bellows. The sheer authority in his voice made me stand up a little taller.

"Someone set the fire alarm off in the north corridor. This type of behaviour and shenanigans will not be prohibited in our school."
I arch an eyebrow at Namjoon.
This was a prank?

"I urge the wrongdoer to step forward willingly. If we catch you before you confess, you will be facing far severe consequences."
The greying man scans the sea of students but no one reveals themselves as the culprit.

"Fine. You leave me no choice..." he sighs.
What he says next shocks us all.

"... the music show is cancelled under further notice."

///
A/N:
Rise and grind gamers, it's comeback season.
^3^

Please vote, comment and share <3