Prologue

Cassie's POV:

It's been 6 years since I was 'adopted' by Sir Reginald Hargreeves after my parents changed their mind and decided my powers were getting too out of hand for them to take proper care of me. In my opinion, they just wanted to get rid of me at all costs.

I was born on October 1st, 1989. My birth and the birth of other 42 kids across the globe is a complete mystery our mothers became pregnant and gave birth and it all happened in a matter of minutes. And the weirdest thing about those kids including myself it is that we all have the chance to develop some sort of superpower.

Sir Reginald Hargreeves believed that if those babies were raised under discipline and trained correctly they could develop their powers and become superheroes. So he ended up adopting 7 of them, but I wasn't one of those kids.

The odd thing about me is that I developed my powers out of nowhere without any help or training. They would only get triggered out of self-defense whenever I felt I was in danger which was mostly when my so-called 'dad' was around. One day things got out of hand and he convinced my mom to contact Mr. Hargreeves asking him to reconsider adopting me since he asked for it when I was a baby. They ended up claiming that my powers were putting both of them in danger especially since my mom was now pregnant with a child she actually planned on having.

So that's how I got adopted and joined The Umbrella Academy as Number Eight. Here I learned how to control my powers and how to use them as I pleased and according to Mr. Hargreeves, I am a very fast learner but still had things to polish.

To me joining the academy was an upgrade compared to what my life was like before it. The only problem is that I still haven't adapted to the family dynamic. And to be fair I'm not even sure if there is one since Mr. Hargreeves isn't very loving as a father. I see Mr. Hargreeves as more of a mentor rather than a father figure even though legally he is now my father. Also, I haven't been able to really connect with Grace and see her as a mother figure like my other siblings she is nice and always treats me well but I guess that's what happens when you get adopted when you are 8 years old. But at least now I have 7 'siblings' I can relate to and spend some time with whenever we aren't training or dealing with crime

First, there is Luther. He is the leader of the bunch, well that's what Mr. Hargreeves always tells him. After all, he is Number One for a reason. Luther and I get along just fine. We aren't extremely close to each other as he and Allison but he does come to me at times whenever he needs some advice.

Second, is Diego. He is also known as Number Two. Diego is very competitive especially when it comes to Luther. Diego lives with the constant reminder that he isn't Number One which makes him really insecure and he tries to prove to Mr. Hargreeves that he is better than Luther but it's basically useless. He has told me plenty of times how he feels about it and I've had to comfort him a lot about it. Other than that Diego and I are close we do enjoy spending time with each other from time to time and just have fun like other kids who are our age.

Third, is Allison. Known as Number Three. I see Allison as the older sister I never had which is crazy because we are exactly the same age. We don't spend that much time together but when we did we would spend hours talking with each other and braiding each other's hair if we didn't have anything else to do of course. It's nice to have someone around who I can be girly around.

Fourth, is Klaus. Number Four. When I first joined the Academy Klaus was super sweet and charismatic which lead to me and him hitting it off right off the bat. We are super close but as in recently, I've been very against some of his choices, and by that I mean his early use of drugs. Klaus's personality has changed the most since I arrived. But after everything he has been through I really can't blame him. I still try to be there for him whenever he needs me and vice-versa after all he is the most selfless.

Fifth, is Five. And I've always found it curious how he is the only one who doesn't have an actual name. He is just called as the number Mr. Hargreeves gave him. Despite trying my best to get along with five it never worked and at this point, I've already given up. I don't know what I ever did to him for him to hate me so much. I try my best to not hold grudges with anyone but with him, it's just impossible. He always has this superiority complex with everyone but when it comes to me it's just straight-up ridiculous.

Sixth, is Ben. Number Six. Ben is a sweetheart he has always been nothing but kind to me compared to Five. He is quiet and is always reading a different book. I really enjoy spending time with Ben we would mostly spend time watching some movies and when we weren't watching movies he would be telling me about the most recent book he is reading.

Seventh, and lastly is Vanya. Number Seven. Vanya is the only one in the group who doesn't possess any superpower. This leads to her being excluded from the group and I honestly think it's unfair. I understand her not being allowed on missions for her own safety but it goes further than that. I try my best to spend as much time as I can with her I even started to learn how to play the piano so we could play some music together. Vanya has told me that ever since I arrived and started becoming friends with her she has felt less alone which makes me feel good because she is really nice and deserves to be happy. Vanya is the only person so far that I've trusted enough to tell her about my family before I joined the academy.

Things here aren't perfect but at least I try to make the best out of it.