Chapter 15: Gimbel Brothers

A/N: Hi everyone, I want to apologize beforehand for this chapter since it's also going to be a short one. I tried making it as long as I could but this was as long as I could do. Having Five completely by himself for the majority of the chapter really affects it because there isn't that much of a dialogue. Soooo take this one as more of a filler chapter. Enjoy!

————————

Five stayed all by himself just walking around the city trying to get his head back on track. Even though he told Cassie it was for the best to stay apart he still managed to miss having her by his side. But he had to do what's best and right now it wasn't the moment to be worrying about his or her feelings. That was the least of his concerns for now.

Time passed by quickly and Five knew what he had to do. His plan was simple, he would just stay out of Meritech and wait for someone to purchase the eye. After all, there was someone out there who might lose an eye soon in the upcoming days and he needed to stay on guard.

Problem was that he was so used to working with Cassie around him and now that she wasn't with him it felt weird. So he thought that it was time to go look for his dear old friend Delores. And he knew exactly where to find her.

Five went directly to a department store called Gimbel Brothers that was nearby. Luckily the place was about to close so he just waited outside patiently. He knew that he had to take Delores with him and if there were people still inside that would be impossible.

Maybe Delores will be able to give him some advice about what was happening with Cassie. The reality is that he honestly didn't know if he was being truthful to himself regarding his feelings. And he was not the type to go running to any of his siblings asking for help. He preferred to deal with things on his own.

Delores was like a good friend to Five. All those 40 years they spent in the apocalypse whenever he needed to confide on someone he would talk with her. He always saw Delores as someone who would always get him and tried giving him emotional support. Since he didn't really like to vent to Cassie to him that was just too weird and made things even more intimate between them. So he avoided that and had Delores instead.

After spending around 40 years with Delores, what started as simple talks with a mannequin later on turned into deep conversations with a friend. At first, the boy was self-aware that it was ridiculous for him to be talking to an inanimate object, but later on, this started talking back to him.

The reality was that it was all inside his head. One of the side effects of being so lonely and not wanting to share his emotions with the only real person he had next to him. This really didn't just affect Five it also affected Cassie the same way.

Once the store was finally closed Five waited a couple of minutes outside just to make sure it was completely empty. He knew Delores had to be there after all the man who was at Griddy's the first day they arrived gave him the address.

The boy felt slightly nervous knowing it has been a long time since he last saw Delores. After all, when he and Cassie joined the commission neither of them saw her again. He just hoped she wasn't mad.

When Five felt the time was right he spatial jumped inside the store and looked at his surroundings. The whole place was dark which made it really hard to find anything. He started walking around towards the women's section and managed to find a small flashlight that was inside a shopping cart that had a bunch of items on sale. He turned the flashlight on and started walking around the many racks of clothes

He walked around pointing his flashlight to every single mannequin he saw, but so far none of them were Delores. He knew she had to be there but the lack of light made it very difficult to actually see what was around him, but he was not going to give up.