Chapter 21: Passed Out

It had been hours since both Luther and Diego went looking for Cassie and Five. Since the girl left the academy after it getting attacked they were worried something might have happened to either of the two children. Sure they knew that both Cassie and Five were able to take care of themselves, but they still wanted to make sure.

Number One thought that Five might still be at the van where he left him only a day ago, but he wasn't. Luther and Diego got inside the van trying to find any leads on their sibling and Cassie's whereabouts, but knowing how unpredictable Five was they knew it wasn't going to be easy. The other option was that the people who were looking for them somehow abducted the two.

They really hoped that wasn't the case, but just in case they started to look for any sort of ransom letter or just any clue. The two brothers started going through documents and papers that were laying inside the van, hoping to find any sort of clue.

Suddenly, Diego found a copy of Vanya's book laying around the van so he picked it noticing how it was all scribbled up with different mathematical equations. He went straight to the first page and saw how the book had a stamp from the public library.

Diego whistled getting Luther's attention as he realized that Five could be at the library. "I know where to find Five," Diego said looking at Luther who was at the front of the van and showed him the book.

"How are you so sure?" Luther asked questioned how possible it was for Diego to be right. After all, it wasn't concrete proof.

"Unless you have any other idea don't question me, Number One," Diego said as he opened the door of the van. "So are you coming or what?" He said turning to look at Luther who was still in the front seats of the van.

—————=+=—————

When Luther and Diego arrived at the library they entered the building and decided to split up so they could find either of the two children. They weren't sure if they were going to find them together, there was still a chance they wouldn't, but they would think about it once they found at least one of them.

The two scouted the library floor by floor but none of them were able to find either Cassie or Five. Suddenly, the two adults meet up on the last floor and looked at each other instantly noticing how neither of them has had any luck on their search.

Luther shook his head at Diego and turned around not wanting to give up just yet so he turned around and started walking away when suddenly Diego started talking to him.

"You wanna know why I left?" Diego said all of a sudden to his brother. The same brother he always tried to compete against to gain his Father's praise but never got it as a kid.

"What? What are you talking about?" Luther asked as he turned around and began walking towards Diego.

"Why I left the Academy," Diego repeated as he turned around to look face Luther.

"Yeah, 'cause you couldn't handle me being Number One," Luther replied convinced that his statement was the reason Diego left. He knew Diego was always under his shadow, a consequence of being Number Two. This frustrated Diego to no end as a chile because he longed for his father's acceptance. He used to be convinced that by becoming the leader Reginald would give him special treatment, unfortunately, that really wasn't the case.

"No. Because that's what you do when you're 17. You move out, become your own person, grow up." Diego said denying Luther's statement. The truth was that it was a little of both.

"Oh, yeah. You're a real grown-up." Luther said sarcastically.

"At least I make my own decisions," Diego said staring at Luther knowing he was hitting a nerve with his words. "You've never had to hold down a job. Pay bills." He said making a very valid point. "You ever even been with a girl?" Diego asked genuinely curious. He already knew the answer to that, he just wanted to make sure.